Invest in our community
This petition made change with 103 supporters!
Key Biscayne already enjoys the lowest millage rate of any incorporated municipality in the State of Florida. Of your entire property tax bill, only about 17% of the real estate taxes each of us pays goes to our Village. That we pay for: Public Safety, Parks and Recreation, Maintenance, Capital Improvements, Fire and Police, etc. All the rest goes to the County and never comes back to us.
Our Village Council seems very inclined to once again lower our millage rate. What this mean to the typical homeowner on the Key is an annual reduction in taxes of $150 if your assessed value is $500,000 or $300 if your value is $1,000,000. What this means to our community is the loss of millions of dollars of revenue that is needed to insure that Key Biscayne continues to be the community that we all want.
There are so many Projects that need to be implemented on the Key that will require money. Some of them are:
1) Support for our community schools: Given our community, we should have better public schools. Support them with teacher assistants, lead teachers, text books, programming, technology, cafeteria safety, etc.
2) Underground utilities: bury the cable and utility lines.
3) Storm Water Sewers: implement best practices for storm surge and sea level rise; get rid of the current policy of waiting 72 hours for water to recede;
4) Beach maintenance and restoration: we should have the best beaches;
5) Expansion of public works projects such as road and park maintenance and improvement;
6) Expansion of our Community Center;
7) a new Cultural Center for our community.
People live here because they want to live in the best and safest municipality in the state. We are much more interested in taking care of and improving our community and adding the kind of services and facilities that will make Key Biscayne even better than it already is, than in a small tax reduction that will make little difference to us individually, but will make a huge difference collectively in our long term ability to continue to make our community the best that it can be. Please tell our Council not to be a penny wise and a pound foolish.
Today: Gwen is counting on you
Gwen Wurm needs your help with “Key Biscayne Village Council: Invest in our community”. Join Gwen and 102 supporters today.