- Ken CampbellSenior VP, Manufacturing
- Gary MaksymetzPresident, Maple Leaf Consumer Foods
- Michael McCainPresident and CEO
Tell Maple Leaf Foods to Stop Torturing Chicks
Thrown. Dropped. Scalded to death. And ground up alive. These are the shocking abuses of baby chicks I documented while working undercover for Mercy For Animals Canada at a Maple Leaf chicken hatchery in Ontario.
At Maple Leaf, I saw baby birds flung by their fragile wings and slammed into metal dividers; live chicks sent through an industrial washing machine, scalded, and drowned; and chicks overloaded and roughly crammed into macerators to be ground up alive. Treated like mere meat-producing machines, these sensitive and intelligent animals were subjected to horrors few of us can even imagine.
This has got to stop.
Please join me in calling on Maple Leaf Foods to immediately establish meaningful animal welfare guidelines for its hatcheries and factory farm facilities, including:
• Preventing baby chicks from being dropped, thrown, crushed, or otherwise mishandled and injured by workers or machinery
• Creating a zero-tolerance policy for scalding live birds in industrial washing machines
• Requiring the installation of video monitoring systems, live-streamed to the internet, in all its facilities in order to help prevent abuse
Chicks are every bit as capable of experiencing pain and suffering as dogs and cats. As a civilized society, it's our moral obligation to protect all animals, including chickens, from needless cruelty and violence.
Maple Leaf was responsive to our last petition. Last month, MFA Canada exposed horrific abuse at Maple Leaf's turkey supplier, Hybrid Turkeys. Maple Leaf said they were “disturbed” by our footage and would start conducting unannounced audits at Hybrid's facilities. This time though, the cruelty is happening at their own facility.
Please sign my petition asking Maple Leaf to do the right thing.
MFA Canada Undercover Investigator
P.S. Please help chicks even more by tweeting this petition #HATCHERYHORRORS.
- Senior VP, Manufacturing
- President, Maple Leaf Consumer Foods
- President and CEO
I was disturbed to see hidden-camera video of workers at one of your chicken hatcheries throwing baby chicks by their fragile wings, slamming them into metal dividers, sending them through an industrial washing machine to be scalded and drowned, and violently cramming them into macerators to be ground up alive.
This is unconscionable cruelty that should not be tolerated by your company. Chickens are every bit as capable of experiencing pain and suffering as dogs and cats, and deserve the same protection from abuse.
Maple Leaf has the power and the ethical responsibility to help end some of the worst forms of animal abuse in the poultry industry, including:
• Preventing animals from being dropped, thrown, crushed or otherwise mishandled and injured by workers or machinery
• Creating a zero-tolerance policy for scalding live animals in industrial washing machines
• Requiring the installation of video monitoring systems, live-streamed to the internet, in all your facilities in order to help prevent malicious animal abuse
As a civilized society it’s our moral obligation to protect all animals, including chickens, from needless cruelty and violence. Thank you for your time and attention.
Mercy For Animals started this petition with a single signature, and won with 56,510 supporters. Start a petition to change something you care about.
Today: Mercy For Animals is counting on you
Mercy For Animals needs your help with “Ken Campbell: Tell Maple Leaf Foods to Stop Torturing Chicks”. Join Mercy For Animals and 56,509 supporters today.