- Mayor Michael Bloomberg
- Joseph C. DanielsCEO & President, National September 11 Memorial & Museum Foundation
- Allison BlaisChief of Staff, National September 11 Memorial & Museum Foundation
- Anthony GuidoCommunications Manager, National September 11 Memorial & Museum Foundation
- Michael FrazierVP Communications, National September 11 Memorial & Museum Foundation
Keep the September 11 Memorial Museum Free of Charge for Everyone
My husband was a police officer with the NYPD for 20 years and retired in 2004. He would never hesitate to risk his life in order to save another. Many of his fellow first responders lost their lives on September 11, 2001. Every day we are reminded of the loss our community suffered and there is not a family in Staten Island, where we live, that was not affected.
Our family has been looking forward to the opening of the September 11 Memorial Museum as a place where our community can gather to remember, grieve, and honor our heroes. But I was very upset to learn that the September 11 Memorial Museum will be charging a $25 fee to visit the museum that will hold artifacts, stories, photos, and videos honoring the victims of 9/11. Although this fee will not be charged to families of the victims, what about everyone else? My family didn’t directly lose a loved one, but we certainly have grieved for our friends and neighbors. Even if you did not lose a loved one in the attacks, you were affected by that devastating day.
The 9/11 Memorial Museum is really a National Memorial. You are not charged to visit any other national memorials like the Vietnam Wall, Arlington National Cemetery, or Pearl Harbor. For our family to visit the memorial, it would cost $100.00. Schools should have class trips to the Museum to learn about this event in American history and should not be charged. No one should be charged to visit a national memorial.
That is why I am asking the National September 11 Memorial Museum to ask for donations from visitors and not charge a fee. Please sign my petition so that all Americans can come together to honor our heroes.
- Mayor Michael Bloomberg
- CEO & President, National September 11 Memorial & Museum Foundation
Joseph C. Daniels
- Chief of Staff, National September 11 Memorial & Museum Foundation
- Communications Manager, National September 11 Memorial & Museum Foundation
- VP Communications, National September 11 Memorial & Museum Foundation
Keep the Museum Free of Charge for Everyone
Laura Timoney started this petition with a single signature, and now has 86,244 supporters. Start a petition today to change something you care about.