- Colonel Jeffrey M. SanbornFort Bragg Garrison Commander
- Dan ForestGovernor
- Wesley MeredithState Senator
- Renee EllmersRepresentative
- Patrick McCroryGovernor
- Kay HaganSenator
- John SzokaState Representative
- CSM Yolanda TateFort Bragg Garrison Command Sergeant Major
- North Carolina Governor
Keep Cleland Ice Rink Open for the Children of Our Nation's Heroes
Lt. General Daniel B. Allyn has made the decision to close Cleland Ice Rink on Fort Bragg effective 27 April, as part of cuts due to sequestration. Ft. Bragg is the home of FORSCOM, United States Special Operations Command, 82nd Air Borne, 18th Airborne, and many other critical units.
More than 75,000 skaters use Cleland Ice Rink each year, almost all of which are families of active duty military personnel.
This Ice Rink is the home to the Cape Fear Fire Antz Youth Hockey Association, the Fort Bragg Patriots (27 on post hockey Teams), a learn to skate program and Figure Skating programs.
Cleland underwent $2.7 million in renovations over the last 18 months, only to now be shuttered.
The arena is profitable, more than covering its own operating expense, and is not a drain in anyway on resources at the base. Unprofitable recreational activities, such as the golf course, are not being shut down.
How You Can Help:
1. Sign this petition!
2. Share this petition with everyone on your contact list.
3. Contact Colonel Jeffrey M. Sanborn at (910)-396-4011 and tell him to fight to keep Cleland open.
4. Contact North Carolina state representatives and tell them stand up for the families of our nation’s heroes.
- North Carolina State House
- U.S. Senate
- U.S. House of Representatives
- State Senator
- State Representative
- Fort Bragg Garrison Command Sergeant Major
CSM Yolanda Tate
- North Carolina Governor
The decision to close Cleland Ice Rink, and turn your back on the children and families of our nation's heroes, is unacceptable. The arena hosts more than 75,000 skaters a year, accompanied by nearly 300,000 spectators and
other visitors. The arena more than covers its own operating expenses, meaning it is not only not a drain on resources, but adds to the operational budget. This action is being taken, even as non-profitable recreational activities are allowed to continue operation.
While the decisions made to accommodate the cuts from sequestration are never easy, turning your back on the children and families of our nation's heroes is not the way to accomplish your goals. Do the right thing, and keep Cleland Ice Rink open and operating.
Defending The Blue Line started this petition with a single signature, and now has 2,388 supporters. Start a petition today to change something you care about.