Councilwoman Tina Ward-Pugh is actively forcing through a proposal that will have a permanent and negative impact on area residents and businesses. We are calling on Mayor Greg Fischer to put a halt to the closure of two lanes on the heavily traveled Brownsboro Road corridor between Ewing Avenue and Drescher Bridge Road until a full examination of the project’s merits is conducted, and all alternatives fully examined.
Brownsboro Road is a major artery into downtown and the East End of Louisville. Reducing the number of driving lanes from 4 to 2 will have some negative impacts:
- Longer commutes downtown for residents traveling to and from their homes
- Traffic gridlock during peak travel times, which will be increased by any River Road closures and all I-71 accidents/construction
- Drivers will be forced to travel at the speed of the slowest motorist and stop at all bus stops
- Area businesses will lose a substantial amount of customers as this plan diverts traffic onto other travel routes. This has the potential to destroy many local businesses.
- This proposal will introduce additional hazards for drivers, pedestrians, and cyclists
- Cyclists will still have to share the road with motorists, as the current plan only addresses individuals on foot
There are better alternatives to Tina Ward-Pugh’s plan that must be explored, and all of our citizen’s opinions must be taken into account.
Ryan Hardesty started this petition with a single signature, and now has 1,262 supporters. Start a petition today to change something you care about.