Save the Orca Families from Extinction!
0 have signed. Let’s get to 150,000!
Our oceans are the home to families of orcas who are now hungry and living in noisy and polluted waters.
The Southern Resident killer whales (orcas) are endangered and require immediate protection, or they will disappear forever. These iconic, intelligent beings live in family pods their entire lives and contribute to the fragile balance of marine ecosystems. There are now only 76 Southern Residents remaining and the time to act is running out.
This petition urges Fisheries and Oceans Minister Dominic LeBlanc and Environment Minister Catherine McKenna to take immediate action and implement an emergency order to protect the endangered Southern Resident orcas who live off British Columbia and Washington State.
They are responsible for taking action to implement an emergency order under the Species at Risk Act for these orcas who have been facing imminent human threats to their survival and recovery. They can make a difference and save the orca families from extinction!
The three major causes of their rapidly declining population is lack of food, vessel traffic/harassment, and pollution.
The emergency order should:
- Guarantee Safe, Abundant, and Healthy Food - Moratoriums must be implemented to rebuild the presently broken ocean food chain. Harmful fish farms, that threaten wild salmon, must be closed;
- Stop Vessel Traffic Noise and Harassment;
- Prevent and Clean up Pollution;
- Enforce Marine Protected Areas (MPAs) - MPAs must restrict activities, such as fishing, that interferes with and threaten orca’s lives. They must be increased in Canada and the US;
- Stop Invasive Experiments and the Cumulative Impact of Research on Orcas - As other orca populations are also at low numbers all satellite darting (spearing) and skin biopsies, that permit a pathway for infections and cause deaths, must be stopped.
The Southern Resident orcas are counting on us to take action. Please sign and share this petition to ensure their survival.
Today: Lifeforce is counting on you
Lifeforce Foundation needs your help with “Join us in asking @DLeBlancNB and @cathmckenna to save the orca families from extinction!”. Join Lifeforce and 133,699 supporters today.