Ban Single Use Plastic Bags in Omaha
0 have signed. Let’s get to 7,500!
There are better and more cost effective options available that are still very convenient.
Mayor Jean Stothert recently stated she’s open to banning plastic bags in Omaha. Now is the time for Omaha to reduce our use of plastic bags! Let’s make this a reality. Keep the momentum going and the pressure on, SHARE this petition if you agree!
- Plastic bags are used for an average of 12 minutes.
- According to Waste Management, only 1 percent of plastic bags are returned for recycling. That means that the average family only recycles 15 bags a year; the rest ends up in landfills as litter.
- Americans use 100 billion plastic bags a year, which require 12 million barrels of oil to manufacture.
- It only takes about 14 plastic bags for the equivalent of the gas required to drive one mile.
- Target gives away enough plastic bags a year to wrap around the Earth 7 times.
- The average American family takes home almost 1,500 plastic shopping bags a year.
- Up to 80 percent of ocean plastic pollution enters the ocean from land.
- At least 267 different species have been affected by plastic pollution in the ocean.
- 100,000 marine animals are killed by plastic bags annually.
- One in three leatherback sea turtles have been found with plastic in their stomachs.
- It takes 500 (or more) years for a plastic bag to degrade in a landfill. Unfortunately the bags don't break down completely but instead photo-degrade, becoming microplastics that absorb toxins and continue to pollute the environment.
Today: Scout: Dry Goods & Trade is counting on you
Scout: Dry Goods & Trade needs your help with “Jean Stothert : No More Single Use Plastic Bags in Omaha”. Join Scout: Dry Goods & Trade and 7,311 supporters today.