Since the FBI found that Hillary Clinton broke the law, recommend charges or resign.
This petition had 29,108 supporters
You clearly stated that it is a violation of law to negligently handle classified material:
- "...[it is a] felony to mishandle classified information either intentionally or in a grossly negligent way."
- "... participants who know or should know that the subject matter is classified are still obligated to protect it."
You clearly stated that Hillary Clinton negligently handling classified material:
- "...there is evidence that [Secretary Clinton or her colleagues] were extremely careless in their handling of very sensitive, highly classified information."
- "...there is evidence of potential violations of the statutes regarding the handling of classified information..."
- "...[Secretary Clinton's emails contained] 110 e-mails in 52 e-mail chains have been determined...to contain classified information at the time they were sent or received. Eight of those chains contained information that was Top Secret at the time they were sent; 36 chains contained Secret information at the time; and eight contained Confidential information..."
- "...None of these e-mails should have been on any kind of unclassified system, but their presence is especially concerning because all of these e-mails were housed on unclassified personal servers not even supported by full-time security staff, like those found at Departments and Agencies of the U.S. Government—or even with a commercial service like Gmail..."
You clearly said it is not your job to make a decision for prosecution:
- "...the Department of Justice makes final decisions on matters like this..."
Yet, for some reason, likely due to political pressure you violently deny, you made a decision for the Justice Department by recommending no charges:
- "...we are expressing to Justice our view that no charges are appropriate in this case..."
More importantly, your reliance upon the fact that "[p]rosecutors necessarily weigh...intent" is misplaced for two reasons. First, the private server didn't happen by accident, so what intent can be gleaned other than intentional negligence? Second, intent is irrelevant here (and you know it). To wit: 18 U.S. Code § 793 provides:
- "...(f) Whoever, being entrusted with or having lawful possession or control of any document, writing, code book, signal book, sketch, photograph, photographic negative, blueprint, plan, map, model, instrument, appliance, note, or information, relating to the national defense, (1) through gross negligence permits the same to be removed from its proper place of custody or delivered to anyone in violation of his trust, or to be lost, stolen, abstracted, or destroyed, or (2) having knowledge that the same has been illegally removed from its proper place of custody or delivered to anyone in violation of its trust, or lost, or stolen, abstracted, or destroyed, and fails to make prompt report of such loss, theft, abstraction, or destruction to his superior officer—Shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than ten years, or both."
Accordingly, if you fail to recommend charges as stated in your political speech today, you will have single handily ruined the little confidence we had left in the bureau; the undersigned, and millions of other Americans this petition may fail to reach, will view you for what you are... a man who claims integrity beyond reproach who cowers to the political whims of the day.
You made a clear case today; you choose to put politics over the same thing Hillary Clinton violated... the law. Whether indicted or not, Hillary will go down in history as untrustworthy. Your legacy is up to you and hinges on this decision.
Today: Teri is counting on you
Teri Amici needs your help with “James Comey: Step down and resign, or recommend the charges for violations of law the law you found.”. Join Teri and 29,107 supporters today.