Hydroponics Farm and Business Initiative at Umass Amherst
This petition had 154 supporters
UMASS HYDROPONICS PRODUCTION PLAN:
- We propose an on-campus hydroponics production pilot project in collaboration with the UMass Dining Services to provide students with hands-on hydroponics growing experience farming fresh local produce.
- The hydroponic growing operation pilot will form the base of a new educational initiative within the Stockbridge School of Agriculture on urban agriculture. Students would gain experience in hydroponic growing and gain exposure to other systems. With enough participation, urban agriculture could be added to Stockbridge as a minor course of study.
- The hydroponic farm at UMass will involve students to support the construction of the growing area, the management and operation of growing and harvesting crops.
- The hydroponics farm will demonstrate applicability to scaling up to meet more of UMass dining needs for year-round fresh leafy vegetables.
- Furthermore, this would allow for students to have hands on experience in a growing field that does hydroponics as well as food distribution, business management, resource management, and project management.
- Additionally, hydroponics is extremely profitable and would help to keep Stockbridge students in-tune with the newly emerging fields in food production.
We appreciate your support in signing this petition to keep the Stockbridge School of Agriculture at the forefront of farming education and to provide hands-on hydroponic job experience for graduating students.
Today: Dana Lucas is counting on you
Dana Lucas needs your help with “Hydroponics Farm and Business Initiative at Umass Amherst”. Join Dana Lucas and 153 supporters today.