Stop grinding chickens alive.
0 have signed. Let’s get to 1,500!
Imagine being a chick in a conventional egg factory.
If you're male, you are ground alive on day one as you serve no purpose; you can't lay any eggs, so there's no reason to keep you alive.
If you're female, your beak is seared off, and you and your friends are crammed into small cages, none of you ever able to spread your wings or nest. This is where you will live the rest of your life--with room less than the size of a standard sheet of paper.
Your cage is stacked next on and beside countless others, like books in a library. Your diet consists of genetically engineered corn and soybeans, laced with antibiotics to prevent disease. This is far from what a wild chicken's diet of plants, seeds, and insects.
"Free-range" eggs aren't necessarily better; certification varies from country to country, state to state; in some places, chickens only need to have 5 minutes of outdoor activity per day. Provinces like Alberta have mandated cages with more room. Other provinces, like BC, still allow for this mistreatment; in BC alone, over 2 million hens are raised conventionally.
Farmers are treating chickens this way to make cheaper eggs. Farmers aren't incentivized to treat chickens well, as it results in more expensive eggs due to the increased labour costs.
- The federal government should impose stricter regulations on how chickens are treated by banning conventional farming and live-chicken grinding. It is simply unethical, and the only ones who are benefitting are the farmers who make an extra buck.
- The federal government could also charge a higher tax, as done with cigarettes, to eggs which come from conventional farms. This way, conventionally farmed eggs will cost the same as more humanely produced eggs.
- The federal government could also provide grants to non-conventional farms.
How to help
- Sign this petition: Politicians want to be elected, and if enough people care about this, they will push for more-humane egg laws.
- Spread the word: This is a problem that few know about; spreading awareness is the first step to a solution.
- Contact your MPs/government officials: As said above, politicians want to be re-elected, and if enough public interest is shown, they will be pressurized into changing these laws. I encourage you to contact them using the links below (or other politicians who could help), be it on the phone, through fax, a letter in the mail, or email. It may not seem like it would make a difference, but if enough people do so, change will happen. Note that this is a problem all around the world; in the United States of America, 99% of hens live this way. Feel free to contact politicians regardless of where you live.
We are calling out...
By signing, change.org contacts all of the below. Linked to their names is a page with their contact information; we encourage you to phone/write letters to them.
- Honourable Lawrence MacAulay, The Minister of Agriculture and Agri-Food, responsible for Farm Credits Canada.
- Jean-Claude Poissant, Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister of Agriculture and Agri-Food.
- Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada.
- Katie Hawkins, Director of Communications, Office of the Honourable Lawrence MacAulay.
Use the hashtag, #stopChickenCruelty when sharing this campaign on social media. Share with your friends using the easy link, bit.ly/chickencruelty.
Today: Connor is counting on you
Connor O'Keefe needs your help with “Honourable Lawrence MacAulay: Ban grinding live-chickens, and the mistreatment of chickens.”. Join Connor and 1,015 supporters today.