- Hawaii State Legislature
- Clarence NishiharaChair, Senate Committee on Agriculture
- Ronald KouchiVice Chair, Senate Committee on Agriculture
- Josh GreenChair, Senate Committee on Health
- Rosalyn BakerChair, Senate Committee on Commerce & Consumer Protection
Don't Let GMO Corporations Poison Paradise – Regulate Biotech & Pesticide Experimentation in Hawaii
Many people imagine Hawaii as an idyllic tropical paradise with pristine beaches, stunning landscapes, and perfect waves. But underneath it all, there’s a battle going on.
Hawaii is ground zero for new GMO and pesticide testing. The largest biotech agri-chemical corporations in the world (including Syngenta, Monsanto, Pioneer, Dow Chemical, and BASF) are spraying toxic pesticides on GMO testing fields near schools, hospitals, and residential neighborhoods. They do this while refusing to disclose to communities the details of what they are spraying, when and where.
People on the Hawaiian Islands are getting sick adjacent to high concentration GMO fields and there are many unanswered questions about the links between chemical runoff, environmental impacts and collapsing marine environments.
It’s time for Hawaii’s state politicians to stand up for the people and the land. Given that it’s an election year in Hawaii, and the GMO issue is a hot topic with national news attention, now is the time to put the pressure on!
Tell Hawaii state legislators to vote in the interest of the people – not the GMO agri-chemical corporations – and support more state and county initiatives to regulate, restrict and ban biotech and pesticide experimentation in Hawaii. Let them know we’ll be watching them, and will vote them out of office if they continue to disregard the people’s demands!
Hawaii is ready to move toward a sustainable agricultural future and you can help make it happen by signing this petition.
Thank you for your support!
- Hawaii State Legislature
- Chair, Senate Committee on Agriculture
- Vice Chair, Senate Committee on Agriculture
- Chair, Senate Committee on Health
- Chair, Senate Committee on Commerce & Consumer Protection
I am writing to urge you to pass legislation that supports state and county efforts to better regulate and restrict biotech and pesticide experimentation on all Hawaiian Islands.
The use of agricultural lands by agri-chemical corporations to experiment with GMO seed crops is not helping Hawaii move toward a sustainable future. With 90% of the food in Hawaii being imported the shift to food production agriculture has never been more important.
Progressive legislation has already been passed at the County level and we urge you to uphold those measures including:
- Bill 113 on the Island of Hawaii that forbids agri-chemical companies from operating on the Big Island and prohibits all new GMOs.
- Bill 2491 on Kauai that requires agriculture companies to disclose when and where they are spraying pesticides, mandates health and environmental studies, and establishes buffer zones near public areas.
These are positive bills for the State of Hawaii and its people and they have tremendous community support – please don’t turn your back on them.
At the state level, we especially urge you to say NO to SB 3058 and all similar bills that would pre-empt county laws and allow agri-chemical corporations to continue with ‘business as usual’.
The world is watching and you have a chance to make a change for the better of your community, state and the health of the world. Do what’s right.
Surfing For Change started this petition with a single signature, and now has 2,192 supporters. Start a petition today to change something you care about.