Senate bill 1387, better known as the Mandatory Ultrasound bill, would mandate that women who are seeking an abortion would be required to have a mandatory Ultrasound. This is a case of government overreach into the the private lives of Idaho Citizens and interferes in a joint medical process between a family and their doctor.
• SB 1387 is government intrusion by writing into statute a specific medical procedure that may not be necessary.
• This requirement inserts politicians into the medical room and sets aside doctors and the patient.
• Currently, government mandated medical procedures are only done on those arrested for criminal offenses or for the mentally ill, and neither are required to pay for it.
• The standard of care in the medical profession needs to remain with doctors NOT in the government's hand.
• The bill places a financial burden on women who must have the ultrasound done; thus placing a discriminatory financial barrier on poor women.
• There needs to be a medical exception where a doctor can exercise judgement for terminating wanted pregnancies that result in early fetal complications
Contact Gov. C.L. "Butch" Otter
By phone at (208)-334-2100
By email: http://gov.idaho.gov/ourgov/contact.html
By Fax (208)-334-3454