Give funds back to public schools to give kids a better education
This petition had 93 supporters
Children should have an equal access to education regardless of their wealth. The problem is that the North Carolina government has cut funds from public schools, and they are giving vouchers to private schools which takes money away from public schools.
- Although we have a lot more students now than in 2008 in the state of North Carolina, the total budget for public schools is now about a half billion dollars less than it was in 2008, after adjusting for inflation.
- The budget for the 2014-15 school year eliminated 5,200 teachers, 3,800 teacher assistants, and about $115 million for textbook and other instructional supplies, and it also increased student to teacher ratios.
- The budget cut textbook funding by $77.4 million, classroom supply funding by $45.7 million, and limited English proficiency funding by $6 million.
- 10,000 pre-k slots have been removed, and the caps on class sizes have been eliminated.
- Growing districts will no longer be guaranteed an increase in per pupil funds to cover the costs of educating the additional students.
Please sign this petition asking the North Carolina General Assembly to put North Carolina's children first.
Today: Jacob is counting on you
Jacob G. needs your help with “General Assembly: Give funds back to public schools to give kids a better education”. Join Jacob and 92 supporters today.