Petition Closed

Public transit is essential to creating and sustaining a healthy environment, economy, and community. Pittsburgh and Allegheny County are facing an unprecedented 35% cut in public transit in September 2012. Nearly half of the county’s current routes could be eliminated, stranding 45,000 riders and eliminating 600 transit jobs We demand legislation that will create a stable, sufficient, dedicated source of funding for public transportation in Pennsylvania.
Transportation across Pennsylvania is underfunded. This includes our roads and bridges as well as our public transit systems. Governor Tom Corbett’s own Transportation Funding Advisory Commission acknowledged this and recommended that transit spending be increased. Corbett can do this by lifting the cap on the franchise tax for wholesale gasoline (as recommended by his panel), by demanding that corporations engaged in commerce in Pennsylvania pay their fair share and stop using tax loopholes, or by demanding that corporations pay for the resources they extract through mining.

Letter to
Majority Leader, Pennsylvania State House Representative Mike Turzai
Pennsylvania Governor Governor Tom Corbett
Pennsylvania State House
and 1 other
Pennsylvania Governor
Fund Public Transit in Pittsburgh; Implement TFAC Recommendations!


Transportation across Pennsylvania is underfunded. This includes our roads and bridges as well as our public transit systems. Governor, your own Transportation Funding Advisory Commission acknowledged this and recommended that transit spending be increased. You and the Majority Leader, Rep. Mike Turzai, can do this by lifting the cap on the franchise tax for wholesale gasoline (as recommended by his panel), by demanding that corporations engaged in commerce in Pennsylvania pay their fair share and stop using tax loopholes, or by demanding that corporations pay for the resources they extract through mining.


The elimination of routes currently served by Port Authority buses and trains will have a negative impact on our region affecting people from all walks of life and every corner of our county. The 99% live in our cities and suburbs; they are our seniors, our young, and all ages in between; and they depend on quality public transit. Transit must be accessible and funded for all and by all.


Serious budget deficits, like the one the Port Authority is facing today, happen not because of fiscal carelessness, overpaid workers, or fares that are too low, but because the Pennsylvania state legislature has failed for 20 years to find a dedicated source of revenue for transportation. In the past decade, the Port Authority’s subsidies have increased by less than .5 percent (far below the average rate of inflation) and are actually expected to decrease in this economic climate, since much of the money comes from sales taxes.


The Port Authority’s budget woes include dramatically increased legacy costs, specifically regarding its pension funds and retiree healthcare. We have been told to blame workers and public sector unions for these problems, but I know that underfunded pension plans are a direct result of our government’s failure to regulate banks and prevent reckless investments that profit the 1%. And it is no wonder that healthcare costs are out of control when our region is dominated by not for profit monopolies. Now, they’re leaving the 99% to bear even more of the costs. Lowering the Port Authority legacy costs is something you can do by regulating financial transactions and taxing corporations that do business in our state.


I ask that you immediately implement the findings of your own Transportation Funding Advisory Commission and fully fund public transit. I also demand that you close tax loopholes for Pennsylvania corporations and fund public services including transit and education.



----------------

Sincerely,