- Cathy DialSr. Director of Consumer Relations - Frito Lay North America
- Tom Greco (President - Frito Lay North America)President - Frito Lay North America
- Marc Guay (President - Pepsico Foods Canada)President - Pepsico Foods Canada
Frito Lay: Add pet suffocation warning labels to your chip bags!
Blue, my beautiful rescue dog, suffocated in a Frito Lay Cheetos chip bag. After dragging an empty Cheetos bag out of the trash and putting his head in to lick up the crumbs, the chip bag then created a vacuum-like seal around his neck blocking his ability to breathe. Panicked and unable to see or breathe, Blue stumbled upstairs, knocking into tables and lamps, and collapsing after losing his bowels. I found him lying motionless under a table with the chip bag still covering his head. I had NO idea these chip bags posed a suffocation risk! Shocked by Blue's senseless death, I contacted President Tom Greco of Frito Lay numerous times to discuss putting warning labels on their chip bags. He did not take my calls or respond to my correspondence. When Cathy Dial, a Frito Lay spokesperson, finally contacted me, she said Frito Lay would take my requests under "advisement", and suggested I could be an "advocate" for the dogs myself. I have since started a website and a Facebook page called "Prevent Pet Suffocation". I am contacted weekly by distraught owners with horrible stories of their dogs suffocating in chip bags and other food packaging, with Frito Lay products being the most common. Their usual response is "If I had only known that these chip bags could cause suffocation, my dog would still be alive!" Most people are not aware of the suffocation hazards of these strong mylar-type chip bags. Once the dog puts his head into the chip bag, it creates a vacuum-like seal around his neck. As the dog tries to breathe, the bag tightens around his neck, cutting off the oxygen. Dogs can and do die within minutes. Too many dogs are needlessly dying! Please help us get warning labels put on Frito Lay chip bags by signing this petition! The next dog that is saved may be yours!
Please visit my website at www.preventpetsuffocation.com and my Facebook page at www.facebook.com/PreventPetSuffocation for more information about this. Scroll through the Memorial Photos on the website to see a montage of some of the beautiful dogs who have died from suffocation. Thank you for your support!
- Sr. Director of Consumer Relations - Frito Lay North America
- President - Frito Lay North America
Tom Greco (President - Frito Lay North America)
- President - Pepsico Foods Canada
Marc Guay (President - Pepsico Foods Canada)
I am writing you to respectfully request that Frito Lay put warning labels on all chip bag products to notify consumers that your chip bags pose a suffocation risk to their pets. Frito Lay has acknowledged they are aware that family pets have died as a result of suffocating in their chip bags. The vast majority of consumers purchasing Frito Lay products do not know that these bags are a deadly hazard to their beloved pets until they find their pet dead with a chip bag covering its head. I believe Frito Lay has a responsibility to inform and warn the public of any known risks their products or packaging pose to an animal or person. Please be proactive in educating the public on the suffocation hazards of your chip bags. A simple warning stating: "WARNING: To avoid danger of pet suffocation, keep this chip bag away from pets and cut up bag after use" will undoubtedly save many, many dogs' lives. And, these grateful dog and cat owners, many of whom are your consumers, will thank you for doing the responsible thing.
Prevent Pet Suffocation started this petition with a single signature, and now has 10,572 supporters. Start a petition today to change something you care about.