- Martin SchulzPresident of the European Parliament
- Frans TimmermansVice-President o the European Commission, Responsibility for the strategy on a circular economy
- Jean-Claude JunckerPresident of the European Commission
- Karmenu VellaEuropean Commission, Responsibility for Environment, Maritime Affairs and Fisheries
- Rt Hon David Cameron MPPrime Minster of the United Kingdom
Stop food waste in Europe #StopFoodWaste
Across Europe, over 80 million people live below the poverty line.
Many people struggle to even feed their families and yet every supermarket in Europe throws away an average of more than 40kg of unsold food every day!
Thanks to a huge petition on Change.org launched by Arash Derambarsh, a municipal councillor in Courbevoie, France introduced a new law requiring supermarkets to donate unsold food to charity. This French victory has created an echo around the world.
It's now time to step up the campaign and call for European legislation to stop food waste in every country in Europe.
That's why we've launched this petition asking the European Union to introduce a new directive calling on every supermarket to give its unsold food to a charity of its choice.
I've been writing and campaigning about food waste for years and founded the organisation Feedback. The amount of food we waste in the UK and around the world is staggering. I'm not talking about rotten food - I’m talking about edible food that is being wasted on a huge scale.
That's why I have decided to join Arash in his campaign to make food waste history across Europe.
The European Commission is preparing a new "circular economy strategy” that will include how Europe should deal with food waste. It is a fantastic opportunity to make our voices heard on this issue.
A public consultation has been launched. We want hundreds of thousands of people to sign this petition to ask the European Commission to include an obligation for supermarkets to donate their unsold food to charity in its new strategy. The petition will strengthen calls from citizens around Europe during this consultation period.
Sign and share this petition! Together, let's stop food waste in Europe!
This petition is part of a European campaign working with the NGOs Action against Hunger and the French Red Cross. This petition has been launched in 6 other countries in Europe by people who, like us, want to end the food waste.
- President of the European Parliament
- Spitzenkandidat für die Bundestagswahl 2017
Martin Schulz (SPD)
- Vice-President o the European Commission, Responsibility for the strategy on a circular economy
- President of the European Commission
- European Commission, Responsibility for Environment, Maritime Affairs and Fisheries
- Prime Minster of the United Kingdom
Rt Hon David Cameron MP
- Commissioner for Health and Food Safety - European Commission
Stop Food Waste now! Let’s force supermarkets to give away unsold food #StopFoodWaste
France just introduced a new law requiring all supermarkets to donate their unsold food. This French victory has created an extraordinary echo around the world. We call for European legislation to stop food waste in every country in Europe.
This directive we need is simple: every supermarket must give its unsold food to a charity of its choice.
Tristram Stuart, Founder Feedback started this petition with a single signature, and now has 909,201 supporters. Start a petition today to change something you care about.
Today: Tristram is counting on you
Tristram Stuart, Founder Feedback needs your help with “Frans Timmermans: Stop food waste in Europe #StopFoodWaste”. Join Tristram and 909,200 supporters today.