Ban the Beads!

0 have signed. Let’s get to 500!


We eat fish that eat microbeads.

Microbeads are tiny plastics smaller than 2 millimeters. These microbeads are usually in facial wash, body scrubs, and toothpaste as exfoliators. They may even be in makeup, lip gloss, and nail polish. Microbeads aren't filtered out in most wastewater treatments. Consequently, micro-plastic particles are found in bays, gulfs and seas worldwide, as well as inland waterways. Plastic microbeads absorb toxic chemicals from organic pollutants, pesticides, flame retardants, and other industrial chemicals. These toxic-coated beads are then consumed by fish and other marine organisms and biomagnification occurs as these toxic chemicals go up the food chain. A single microbead can be up to a million times more toxic than the water around it.

You wouldn't want the plastic you’re washing your face with to end up in your sushi right?



Today: Anna Beatriz is counting on you

Anna Beatriz Araneta needs your help with “Food and Drug Administration: Ban the Beads!”. Join Anna Beatriz and 293 supporters today.