- Vincent SannaStore Manager
- Gloria BradleyStore Owner
End Puppy Sales in Easpointe Michigan (Paws-N-Claws)
Local dog advocates from the Puppy Mill Awareness of Southeast Michigan have been calling on the Paws-N-Claws pet store to stop supporting puppy mills and start supporting rescue. The store continues to work with large breeders and brokers in states such as Minnesota, Kansas, Missouri, and Arkansas.
Seven of the ten USDA licensed breeders that supply Paws N Claws have citations listed on their USDA inspection reports, ranging from sanitation problems to inadequate vet care.
• puppies were observed with the feet or parts of the legs extending below the floor surface.
• broken and protruding wire ends sticking out
• have a buildup of dirt, grime and caked on feces
• do not have wind/ rain breaks
• did not have adequate shelter for the animals
• two boxers with only one shelter large enough for one animal
• cages do not have adequate space
• transported in commerce a total of 11 puppies that were not 8 weeks old
• need to have the mats, long hair, removed or combed out around the mouth, anal area and areas that hang down and drag the wire flooring.
• housing needs the wall kept clean
• need to add additional bedding to the terrier pen
• need to have the grease and grime removed
Clarke’s Hillside Kennel, located in Yates Center Kansas, has a history of violations going back to 2004. In 2010, she was cited for not observing her dogs on a daily basis to assess their health. Some dogs had mats that could cause sores and discomfort. She was also cited for sanitation and housing for 50 dogs - “Need to clean the inside of the shelter housing and also the indoor housing buildings to better insure that the dogs can remain healthy and disease free. “
Not all the puppies come from small local breeders as Paws N Claws would have you believe -- USDA inventory reports show that these are large commercial operations with hundreds of dogs.
Support the efforts of Puppy Mill Awareness by telling Paws N Claws to stop selling puppies.
- Store Manager
- Store Owner
I am disappointed to learn that your Paws-N-Claws store continues to sell puppies purchased from commercial breeders. By doing so, you are supporting an industry that cruelly treats dogs like commodities, not like the companion animals that customers come to your store to buy food, treats and toys for.
I urge you to agree to stop selling animals acquired from breeders, stop supporting commercial breeding operations in all of your business practices, and, instead, work solely with local shelters and nonprofit rescue groups to facilitate adoptions.
Not only will this move stop the negative publicity generated by your puppy sales, but advocates will actively help promote your newly puppy-friendly store. As an added benefit, this move makes good business sense in an economy where high-priced puppy sales aren't as desirable as the less expensive option of adopting a homeless pet.
Several other stores across the country have successfully made this commitment and you can make the same humane decision.
Pam Sordyl started this petition with a single signature, and now has 1,085 supporters. Start a petition today to change something you care about.
Today: Pam is counting on you
Pam Sordyl needs your help with “End Puppy Sales in Easpointe Michigan (Paws-N-Claws)”. Join Pam and 1,084 supporters today.