- Tristram Hunt MPLabour Shadow Secretary of State for Education
- The Rt Hon David Laws MPLiberal Democrat Minister for Schools
End compulsory worship in schools
The law requires all publicly funded schools, even non-faith schools, to hold a daily act of "broadly Christian" worship.
This petition was launched to persuade political parties (in England) to make it part of their education policy to remove the legal obligation on schools to hold acts of collective worship.
Both the Liberal Democrats and the Green Party made that commitment: other parties were less clear. However the election has returned a majority Conservative Government and both the party and Education Secretary Nicky Morgan support compulsory worship in schools.
It’s time for us to consider where the campaign to end compulsory worship in schools goes next. The petition (in its current form) isn’t the avenue to take that campaign forward.
With teachers, educationalists, religious organisations, local authorities and thousands of ordinary citizens of all religions and none now voicing their opposition, it’s clear that something needs to be done about this anachronistic imposition.
In the meantime we will continue to:
- Keep up the pressure on the Government!
- Attempt to persuade the Welsh Government to change the law in Wales.
- Advise parents, pupils and schools who contact us for help related to collective worship in schools.
- Highlight problems caused where the law is enforced and campaign against any attempts to enforce it more strictly.
- Work with a diverse range of groups to nurture the growing consensus against compulsory collective worship.
As the law becomes increasingly out of place in modern Britain we’re optimistic that change will happen. Here’s how you can help us keep up the pressure:
- Support our work by joining or making a donation.
- Write to your MP or Welsh Assembly Member (or write again if you have a new one) to let them know your feelings about worship in schools and asking them to set out their position).
- Get in touch with us if you have any issues relating to collective worship in your school.
Visit the website for more information.
- Secretary of State for Education
Nicky Morgan MP
- Labour Shadow Secretary of State for Education
Tristram Hunt MP
- Liberal Democrat Minister for Schools
The Rt Hon David Laws MP
Please make it part of your education policy to remove the legal obligation on schools to hold acts of collective worship and commit to bringing forward legislation to remove the requirement at the earliest possible opportunity.
National Secular Society started this petition with a single signature, and now has 11,851 supporters. Start a petition today to change something you care about.