Don’t Sponsor Hate: Women’s March Leaders Must Resign
Don’t Sponsor Hate: Women’s March Leaders Must Resign
1/10/2019: IT’S HAPPENING: “Southern Poverty Law Center Quietly Joins the Roster of Big Groups Walking Away from the Women’s March” Emily’s List, Keshet, and NCJW are also no longer partnering with Women’s March 2019. This follows a number of chapter organizers who have recently disaffiliated, disavowed, and condemned the national leadership, asking them to resign.
11/19/2018: "The founder of the Women's March is calling for the movement's current co-chairs to step down for allowing bigotry into their mission."
11/12/2018: “The think tank for the German social democratic party withdrew its Human Rights Award to the Women's March USA on Thursday: ‘We believe that the Women's March USA does not meet the criteria of this award, as its organizers have repeatedly attracted attention through antisemitic statements, the trivialization of antisemitism and the exclusion of Zionists and Jews since Women's March USA establishment in 2017. Women's March USA does not constitute an inclusive alliance.’”
11/09/2018: Alyssa Milano and Debra Messing are both no longer supporting the Women's March due to its anti-Semitic leadership.
6/11/2018: Tamika Mallory has been kicked out of a major social policy conference in Australia after her recent statements which called the creation of the State of Israel a "Human Rights crime."
“Tamika Mallory’s enthusiastic public praise for Louis Farrakhan, a notorious anti-Semite … makes her a dubious choice to speak about inclusion and social justice,” he said.
5/15/2018: Tamika Mallory has now joined Linda Sarsour in defending terrorist group Hamas and their deadly use of human shields. When responding to a tweet which said, “It takes a special kind of evil to sacrifice your people for the camera,” she tweeted: “Or bravery! Depends on how you look at it!”
4/27/2018: Due to the attacks by Women's March leaders below, ADL has been bullied into no longer leading the Starbucks anti-bias training. NAACP, Equal Justice Initiative, and Demos are now the only organizations leading the training.
4/18/2018: New anti-Semitic attacks by Women's March leaders! Tamika Mallory and Linda Sarsour are now attacking the Anti-Defamation League (an international Jewish non-governmental organization) with the following false statements, continuing to spread their anti-Semitic hate far and wide:
"The ADL is CONSTANTLY attacking black and brown people. This is a sign they are tone deaf and not committed to addressing the concern of black folks. Be clear about what's happening here!" - @tamikadmallory
"Starbucks almost had me on their anti-bias training for all employees UNTIL I heard ADL was enlisted as one of the orgs to build their anti-bias curriculum. An anti-Arab, anti-Palestinian organization that peddles islamophobia and attacks America’s prominent Muslim orgs and activists and supports/sponsors US law enforcement agents to travel and get trained by Israeli military." - Linda Sarsour via Facebook
"I don’t know which one is more disappointing, @Starbucks bringing on @ADL_National or @ADL_National agreeing to do the anti-bias training when this directly impacts black folks! There R great black organizations & people who can conduct this training! @ADL_National not good!" - @msladyjustice1 (Carmen Perez)
We demand that all sponsors of Women's March Inc. remove their sponsorship until the organization's current leadership is replaced by leaders who are not affiliated with and do not defend those associated with any organization classified as a hate group. Sponsors and/or partners include Planned Parenthood, SPLC, ACLU, and Emily’s List.
- Now more than ever, women need to unite against hate. The Women’s March, Inc. organization has become an essential part of the feminist movement. As feminists, we are passionate about the force behind this movement and its significance. More than 2.6 million people participated in what was the largest protest in US history on January 21, 2017. We built it. We should decide who steers it. We are aware that many separate grassroots groups participated on that day who are not connected to Tamika Mallory, Linda Sarsour, Bob Bland, or Carmen Perez. However, the march itself was organized under the umbrella of Women’s March, Inc. and we must purge it of hate.
- President of Women's March DC, Mercy Morganfield released the following statement on March 10, 2018: “If the actions of our leaders are not aligned with the Unity Principles, then the leaders should reassess their leadership roles in Women’s March and the greater women’s rights movement.”
- Leaders of an organization which, according to its Unity Principles, claims to “believe that Women’s Rights are Human Rights and Human Rights are Women’s Rights” MUST NOT support or defend those who support someone like Louis Farrakhan, who is not only a rabid anti-semite but also has a history of misogyny, homophobia and transphobia.
- Recently, we have become aware of three of these four Women’s March, Inc. leaders’ reprehensible affiliations with the Nation of Islam and Louis Farrakhan.
- Upon receiving backlash regarding the Women’s March co-President Tamika Mallory’s recent attendance at a Farrakhan rally where she personally received a shout-out, co-President Bob Bland, along with treasurers Carmen Perez and Linda Sarsour have been defensive of Mallory.
- All four leaders will not directly condemn Farrakhan’s extremely anti-semitic speech or disavow any relationship with him.
- Mallory, Sarsour, and Perez have publicly praised and been photographed with Farrakhan; Mallory has admitted to attending Farrakhan’s hate-filled speeches for the past thirty years, including this year.
- We have yet to hear from the Women’s March, Inc. sponsors listed below in regards to funding an organization run by leaders who are morally bankrupt. How can SPLC sponsor an organization made up of leaders who are affiliated with the Nation of Islam, which SPLC classifies as a hate group? It’s time for these sponsors to take a stand and separate themselves from an organization that has been tainted by hate. Until these leaders step aside and allow new leaders to take their place, sponsorship should be removed.
- We demand to have true leaders who believe in all women’s rights; perhaps Mercy Morganfield, who has proven to be a truly inclusive leader (see above), would be a good candidate.
Many feminists refused to join the Women’s March because they did not feel comfortable with the current leadership. Now, Women’s March participants also no longer feel represented by this organization due to the behavior of its current leadership. We, as supporters of women’s rights, donated to this organization, promoted it, and went on to march once again on January 20, 2018.
We REFUSE to march behind leaders who support an open anti-Semite.
We REFUSE to march behind leaders who defend those affiliated with an open anti-Semite.
We DEMAND new leadership.
“That the group refuses to be accountable for a high-level alliance with an open anti-Semite disqualifies it from ranking among today’s movements for social justice.”
“A liberation ideology that rests on the demonization of other marginalized groups should be, and is, unacceptable to most contemporary activist movements....Mallory’s unwillingness to see Farrakhan for what he is will surely cost the entire Women’s March organization its credibility among many Jewish people, LGBTQ people, and those who see themselves as allies to those communities.”
“If the Women’s March continues to count [Mallory] as a leader, the organization deserves to fail.”
Please sign this petition & reach out to any of these 550 organizations and insist that they terminate their sponsorship of the Women’s March, Inc. until new leadership is in place.
These sponsors include:
Natural Resource Defense Council
American Federation of Teachers
Human Rights Campaign
Peace is Loud
Jews for Racial & Economic Justice
Southern Poverty Law Center