Say no to Souths Leagues Club Merewether extending opening hours from midnight to 2am
0 have signed. Let’s get to 200!
Souths Leagues Club at Merewether has recently applied to the Department of Liquor and Gaming for an extension of their trading license from midnight until 2am.
I’ve met with Souths and the reason for their application is to get people playing their pokie machines longer. They believe that they are at a disadvantage to Wests who have longer trading hours and have built their clubs into mini casinos. Initially the extended trading hours are planned from Thursday to Sunday. They have also requested to revoke a number of restrictions on how much noise they can make in their venue. A full list of the restrictions they want to revoke can be downloaded here.
If like me you believe that Merewether does not need a late night venue of this nature, please read on. We have only a short time to act.
The application was submitted by Souths on 29th of May. There is now a 30 day consultation period, meaning we have until only the 28th of June to submit our concerns to the department of liquor and gaming. This means all feedback must be provided in the next few weeks.
What you should do:
- Sign the petition below. I will provide the results to the relevant parties at the end of the consultation period.
- Complete the submission to the department by downloading this form, completing it and emailing it back to firstname.lastname@example.org. This step is a little tedious but is actually the most important to ensure our concerns are heard, particularly if you are a local resident.
Email council, our state member and the minister for Liquor and Gaming with your concerns:
- Tim Crakanthorp (state member for Newcastle) – email@example.com
- Paul Toole (state minister for liquor and gaming) – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Nuatali Nelmes (Lord Mayor) – email@example.com
- Carol Duncan, Kathe Elliott, Brad Luke (Ward 2 Councillors) – firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org
Contact Souths Leagues club and voice your concern directly to them:
- Steve Pringle (CEO) – email@example.com
- Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/southsmerewether/
In my submission I will be highlighting the following:
- Souths is located in a residential family neighbourhood, and 2am trading hours are not appropriate in this type of neighbourhood.
- Merewether is well served by a number of pubs and clubs with midnight closing times. The local residents are not in need of a late night venue.
- The noise restrictions currently in place are acceptable for a club located in a residential neighbourhood like Souths.
- Merewether does not have adequate public transport links to move patrons leaving the venue late at night.
- Merewether’s streets late at night have little foot traffic, are poorly lit and do not have a strong police presence, meaning a high risk of antisocial behaviour as people leave the venue.
- Nearby suburbs of Hamilton, Newcastle and Newcastle West serve the community well with late night venues, are located nearby to public transport, taxi ranks and have a high police presence limiting antisocial behaviour. Additional venues in the surrounding suburbs are unnecessary and will pose greater risk to the community.
- Gaming machines provide enough damage to local communities without needing them to be accessible for more hours of the day.
If you have any questions or want to be kept informed of the progress of this application, you can get in contact at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Today: Steve is counting on you
Steve B needs your help with “Department of Industry - Liquor and Gaming: Say no to Souths Leagues Club Merewether extending opening hours from midnight to 2am”. Join Steve and 166 supporters today.