- Professor Andrew PollardJVCI Chair
- Head of Ofsted - Sir Michael WilshawHead of Ofsted
- Philip DunneMinister of Health
- Jeremy Hunt
- DAVID MOWATUSS for community health and care
- Sir Prior of BramptonHouse of Lords Under Secretary of State for health
- Mark DickinsonDirector of Operations and Service Development
- John MorleyInformation Governance Manager
- Jane EvansInformation Governance Manager for Screening and Health Protection
STOP vaccination with the Influenza Nasal Spray Vaccine in our schools.
Please sign our Government petition too.
Schools are establishments for Education NOT places for Mass Vaccination
* GM strains of influenza used in the nasal spray flu vaccine have NEVER been studied for safety.
* There may be a risk of inhalation of particles to those not consenting to the vaccine.
* Recently vaccinated children can transmit the flu to others within their community.
The nasal spray flu vaccine (Fluenz Tetra or Flumist Quadrivalent) currently administered to Early Years children in UK primary schools annually.
1 This new vaccine is genetically modified (GM) and contains four strains of live influenza virus designed to replicate in the nasal passage.
2. It has a Black Triangle label, which means it requires active surveillance.
3. It should therefore be administered in medical establishments such as GP surgeries, community health clinics, or hospitals where a nurse will have full access to medical records and where parents can be present during the procedure so they can seek specific advice regarding their individual child's health.
By administering it to children in schools, the Nasal Spray Flu Vaccine Programme directly violates the Secretary of State’s declaration in The Health Protection (Vaccination) Regulations 2009 which says there is no provision for imposing or enabling any restriction or requirement which has, or would have, a significant effect on a person’s rights.
4. Mass vaccination of children with this nasal spray, in a school environment, puts the health of staff, other pupils and their families at risk because ‘the virus has the potential for transmission’ peaking at ‘2-3 days post vaccination in clinical studies’.
5. Public Health England claim that shedding from a recently vaccinated person is negligible but it has been proven, in both school and laboratory settings, that flu vaccine strains have been transmitted to other children and staff.6 7 Even the manufacturers advise that people who are immune-compromised should not come into contact with a recently vaccinated child8. which suggests that there is indeed some risk of transmission.
The spread of particles from the nasal spray has not been studied during such mass vaccination programmes so we do not know the effect it may have on non-consenting children and staff. As it contains gelatine made from pork this may have an impact on those observing Halal practice. We therefore believe that Local Education Authorities should not penalise those parents who have made a fully informed decision wishing to exercise the precautionary principle by removing their children from school for the period of vaccination and vaccine shedding.
AstraZeneca, one of the manufacturers of this product, has been fined on several occasions for improper and illegal false drug claims and patent fraud.9 Whether the mass vaccination of children in schools even protects them from influenza is unknown. In 2015 the flu vaccine was effective in just 3% of cases10. Dr Tom Jefferson, the lead author of the Cochrane Review on Vaccine for Preventing Influenza in Healthy Children, states that "influenza vaccines are about marketing not science."11 12 13
We object to vaccines being administered in places of education.
The mass vaccination of children in schools is a potentially unsafe procedure.
Let's stop this happening in UK schools.
(1). For the first time, the youngest primary school children in 17,000 schools will be eligible to receive the free nasal spray vaccine, making this the largest school-based vaccination programme ever in England. https://www.gov.uk/government/news/winter-campaign-starts-with-largest-flu-vaccination-programme (Accessed: 21 January 2016)
(2). Each vial of Fluenza Tetra vaccine mist contains 10 million ‘genetically modified organisms’ for each nostril of each of four strains of reassorted live attenuated. That's 80 million viruses per dose, designed to replicate inside a child's nasal passages. Summary of product characteristics, Fluenz Tetra nasal spray suspension influenza vaccine (live attenuated, nasal), 4.4 Special warnings and precautions for use, updated 3rd Sept 2015 http://www.medicines.org.uk/emcmobile/medicine/29112/spc (Accessed: 21 January 2016)
(4). In accordance with section 45Q(3) of the Public Health (Control of Disease) Act 1984, the Secretary of State declares that he is of the opinion that these Regulations do not contain any provision made by virtue of section 45C(3)(c) of that Act which imposes or enables the imposition of a special restriction or requirement or any other restriction or requirement which has or would have a significant effect on a person’s rights. http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2009/38/pdfs/uksi_20090038_en.pdf (Accessed: 21 January 2016)
(5). "The highest proportion of subjects in each group shed one or more vaccine strains on Days 2-3 post vaccination". Although some of the children who received the Fluenz vaccine remained contagious for up to 28 days. Flumist Quadrivalent, Package Insert, PDF, Page 15, Transmission Study http://www.fda.gov/downloads/BiologicsBloodVaccines/Vaccines/ApprovedProducts/UCM294307.pdf (Accessed: 21 January 2016)
(6). ‘With documented transmission of one Type B in one placebo subject and possible transmission of Type A viruses in four placebo subjects’ http://www.fda.gov/downloads/BiologicsBloodVaccines/Vaccines/ApprovedProducts/UCM294307.pdf (Accessed: 21 January 2016)
(7). However, the risk of transmission is not only to the seriously immunocompromised contacts. There has been confirmed transmission of a vaccine strain to a child in a school setting. This means that a non-vaccinated child not consenting to the vaccine could potentially contract the vaccine strain anyway. A randomized, double-blind study of the safety, transmissibility and phenotypic and genotypic stability of cold-adapted influenza virus vaccine, Vesikari T, Karvonen A, Korhonen T, Edelman K, Vainionpää R, Salmi A, Saville MK, Cho I, Razmpour A, Rappaport R, O'Neill R, Georgiu A, G. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16804427 (Accessed: 7 August 2016)
(8). Whilst it is a weakened version of the virus, it is still possible to catch the flu from it. "Vaccine recipients should be informed that Fluenz Tetra is an attenuated live virus vaccine and has the potential for transmission to immunocompromised contacts." https://www.medicines.org.uk/emc/medicine/29112 (Accessed: 21 January 2016)
(9). The company paid a fine of $520 million to the U.S. Department of Justice for illegally promoting Seroquel and settled thousands of lawsuits involving Seroquel for $647 million. https://www.drugwatch.com/manufacturer/astrazeneca/ (Accessed: 7 August 2016)
(10). The year’s flu vaccine effective in only 3% of cases. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-31155332 (updated 5th Feb 2015, accessed 15th Jan 2016) Vesikari T1, Karvonen A, Korhonen T, Edelman K, Vainionpää R, Salmi A, Saville MK, Cho I, Razmpour A, Rappaport R,O'Neill R, Georgiu A, Gruber W, Mendelman PM, Forrest B; CAIV-T Transmission Study Group. Pediatr Infect Dis J. 2006 Jul;25(7):590-5, PMID: 16804427. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16804427 (Accessed: 21 January 2016)
(11). The Cochrane Review on Vaccines for preventing influenza in healthy children published in 2012 reviewed 75 studies on flu vaccines with about 300,000 observations. It found "extensive evidence of reporting bias of safety outcomes from trials of live attenuated influenza vaccines (LAIVs) [which] impeded meaningful analysis" and "evidence of widespread manipulation of conclusions and spurious notoriety of studies." http://www.cochrane.org/CD004879/ARI_vaccines-for-preventing-influenza-in-healthy-children (Accessed: 21 January 2016)
(12). Doshi, a postdoctoral fellow at Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, argues that the vaccine might be less beneficial and less safe than has been claimed, and the threat of influenza appears overstated. ‘Expert questions US public health agency advice on influenza vaccine’, published 16th May 2013. http://www.bmj.com/press-releases/2013/05/16/expert-questions-us-public-health-agency-advice-influenza-vaccines (Accessed: 21 January 2016)
(13). Is the government wrong about giving children the nasal spray flu vaccine? Luisa Dillner, 15th Oct 2015. http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2014/oct/05/government-wrong-nasal-spray-vaccine (Accessed 22 January 2016)
- JVCI Chair
Professor Andrew Pollard
- Head of Ofsted
Head of Ofsted - Sir Michael Wilshaw
- Minister of Health
- Jeremy Hunt
- Member of Parliament
Nicola Blackwood MP
- USS for community health and care
- House of Lords Under Secretary of State for health
Sir Prior of Brampton
- Director of Operations and Service Development
- Information Governance Manager
- Information Governance Manager for Screening and Health Protection
STOP vaccination with the Influenza Nasal Spray Vaccine in our schools.
Arnica started this petition with a single signature, and now has 6,069 supporters. Start a petition today to change something you care about.