Kentucky Constitutional Amendment 223A was passed overwhelmingly by Kentucky voters in 2004, but we can change this! In Kentucky, the House and Senate must approve any proposed amendment and the citizens then approve or reject the amendment.
- DO YOU BELIEVE THAT MARRIAGE IS A BASIC CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHT THE COMMONWEALTH OF KENTUCKY SHOULD EXTEND TO ALL PEOPLE? Nothing speaks louder to your lawmakers in Frankfort than the voice of their constituents!
Why Marriage? Currently, same-sex couples in Kentucky do not have the freedom to marry the person they love. Do you believe the Commonwealth has the right to tell you who to love and spend your life with? As a result, the following benefits are denied by the Commonwealth:
- Accidental death benefit for the surviving spouse of a government employee;
- Appointment as guardian of a minor;
- Beneficial owner status of corporate securities;
- Bill of Rights benefits for victims and witnesses;
- Consent to post-mortem examination;
- Control, division, acquisition, and disposition of community property;
- Criminal injuries compensation;
- Death benefit for surviving spouse for government employee;
- Disclosure of vital statistics records;
- Eligibility for housing opportunity allowance program of the Housing, Finance and Development Corporation;
- Exemption from claims of Department of Human Services for social services payments, financial assistance, or burial payments;
- Exemption from conveyance tax;
- Family violence prevention and services;
- Funeral leave for government employees;
- Income tax deductions, credits, rates exemption, and estimates;
- Insurance licenses, coverage, eligibility, and benefits;
- Legal status with partner’s children;
- Making partner medical decisions;
- Ability to visit your partner if they are hospitalized;
- Payment of wages to a relative of deceased employee;
- Payment of worker's compensation benefits after death;
- Permission to make arrangements for burial or cremation; and Public assistance from the Cabinet for Health and Family Services.
This is a partial list, for additional information, click here.
NEWS UPDATE: Now, we have fanatics like the Whitley County Judge Executive trying to spark a national constitutional amendment banning same-sex marriage (which would invalidate anything the Kentucky Supreme Court or the U.S. Supreme Court did; even if they decided gay marriage must be legal). (story)
- Kimball Roy was instrumental in the creation of Marriage Equality Kentucky and Kentucky Equality Federation sponsoring the group. Mr. Roy later died of a heart attack (at 45 years old), but his legacy remains. (story)
The Marriage Equality Kentucky and Kentucky Equality Federation Marriage Declaration is a proclamation that marriage is a basic constitutional right that should be extended to all people in the Commonwealth.
I am a citizen of the Commonwealth of Kentucky and I believe Section 223A of the Kentucky Constitution is unconstitutional; marriage is a basic constitutional right that should be extended to all people.
The Marriage Equality Kentucky and Kentucky Equality Federation Marriage Declaration is a proclamation that marriage is a basic constitutional right that should be gender-neutral.
cc: Kentucky Equality Federation
cc: Marriage Equality Kentucky