Demand a mandatory two-semester PROP class at CSSW
0 have signed. Let’s get to 500!
Columbia School of Social Work has committed itself to implementing the demands set forth to create a more inclusive, social justice, and anti-oppressive school of social work. This petition is to stress the importance of demand 19, “we demand that the Columbia School of Social Work mandate a Power, Oppression, and Privilege course for first-year students,” as it has not yet been implemented. The Power, Race, Oppression, and Privilege (PROP) course curriculum has been designed intricately. Now, it is time for implementation, as it should be rolled out fall of 2017.
For over one year, demand 19 has been known by the administration. However, at this time, they are unsure about the “feasibility” of implementing the course within the timeline promised, although the curriculum is already developed. Students and faculty have thoroughly and diligently constructed our curriculum and worked with the curriculum committee to meet the standards of CSSW. At this point, it is the responsibility of the administration to complete this demand within the timeframe agreed upon.
We, Columbia School of Social Work students and alumni, demand the administration address the needs of the student body by ensuring a full year required PROP course is rolled out by fall of 2017.
19. We demand that the Columbia School of Social Work mandate a Power, Oppression, and Privilege course for first-year students.
Status: Implementation phase
Area of Responsibility: Curriculum Implementation
- Make implementing PROP class the top priority for CSSW
- Organize trainings and professors for PROP class
- Facilitate trainings for professors
- Position a required, two-semester PROP class in CSSW curriculum
- Pilot class with trained professors during orientation
- Full rollout of class in September 2017
Today: CSSW is counting on you
CSSW Activists needs your help with “CSSW Demands: Demand a mandatory two-semester PROP class at CSSW”. Join CSSW and 258 supporters today.