Please declare Monmouthshire as a frack free Local Authority
This petition had 7,276 supporters
* Fracking would be bad for climate change as it seeks to exploit a fresh source of fossil fuels. Greenhouse Gas releases, including emissions of methane during extraction, would be as bad as burning coal.
* Local Authorities have a responsibility to fight climate change, being charged with “playing their full part at local level, leading and delivering the Welsh response to damaging climate change”. [Welsh Climate Change Declaration 2006]
* The Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) has stated that our energy needs can be met by development of our abundant sources of renewable energy – anaerobic digestion, geothermal, hydro, marine, solar & wind etc., linked by energy grids. Hence fracking is not needed.
* Fracking, whatever the denials, would be at the expense of such an intensified development of renewables.
* As well as being bad for climate change, fracking risks depletion of precious water resources – each fracking well would consume vast quantities of water – over 5 million gallons a year.
* Injected with this water underground are hundreds of chemicals with clear risk of contamination of groundwater
* Fracking is deeply unpopular and unlikely to bring down energy prices. Nor will it create sustainable jobs. By contrast renewables can provide 400,000 jobs across the UK by 2020.
Please join us in saying Monmouthshire is Against Fracking
Thanks for signing our petition :)
To get involved visit http://www.monmouthshiregreenweb.co.uk/abergavenny-crickhowell-friends-of-the-earth
Or contact Rod Walters at firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information on fracking and other unconventional energy visit:
Or join us on Facebook at:
Today: Abergavenny & Crickhowell Friends of the Earth is counting on you
Abergavenny & Crickhowell Friends of the Earth needs your help with “Councillor Peter Fox: Please declare Monmouthshire as a frack free Local Authority”. Join Abergavenny & Crickhowell Friends of the Earth and 7,275 supporters today.