Cornellians for NYC's Tech Campus
Dear Cornell Students, Alumni, Parents, and Friends:
We are a group of Cornellians who want Cornell to win the bid to create an Applied Sciences and Engineering Campus in NYC. We are calling on you, our fellow Cornellians, to help convince Mayor Bloomberg that Cornell is the best choice.
PLEASE SIGN THIS PETITION AND SHARE IT WITH YOUR FELLOW CORNELLIANS!
Top 5 Reasons Mayor Bloomberg Should Choose Cornell:
1) A purpose-built proposal specifically designed to create technology jobs in NYC’s unique economy.
2) Experience running NYC’s Weill Cornell Medical College, which has over 1200 faculty members, over 3000 staff members, and contributes over $1 billion annually to NYC’s economy.
3) The top-ranked engineering program in the Ivy League.
4) One of only a handful of universities in the country with top-ten programs in all of the key technology fields (Computer Science, Electrical and Computer Engineering, Materials Science and Nanotechnology, and Information Science).
5) Cornell alumni with deep roots in every aspect of NYC’s emerging tech sector – start-up founders and entrepreneurs, existing industry leaders, venture and seed capital, and leading corporate customers.
Cornell has been committed to New York City for a long time, and we are incredibly well positioned to build on this partnership to accelerate New York City’s technology boom.
Please sign the petition letter to express your support for Cornell’s bid and to convince Mayor Bloomberg that Cornell is the obvious choice.
Cornellians for NYC's Tech Campus
P.S. After you sign the petition, change.org may suggest other petitions for you to sign. These do not reflect in any way the views of Cornell University or Cornellians for NYC's Tech Campus.
Among the competing bidders, many of whom present impressive cases, only Cornell has the combination of:
• Geographic Proximity: Many who choose Cornell for undergraduate and graduate education are closely connected to the NYC metropolitan area, and there is a solid history of our graduates settling in the region and contributing to its complex and diversified economy. Approximately 50,000 Cornell alumni live and work in the NYC metro area – including thousands who already work in the media, investment, research, and tech sectors.
• Experience Operating a Large Campus in NYC: The Weill Cornell Medical College has been long affiliated with New York-Presbyterian Hospital. On their joint campus in Manhattan, there are 1,200+ faculty members and 3,000+ staff members, contributing over $1 Billion annually to the NYC's economy.
• Academic Excellence: Cornell’s College of Engineering is the top-ranked engineering program in the Ivy League and one of only a handful of universities in the country with top-ten programs in all the key technology fields: Computer Science, Electrical and Computer Engineering, Materials Science and Nanotechnology, and Information Science.
• Deep Roots within NYC’s Tech Community: A considerable number of Cornell alumni have deep roots in every aspect of NYC’s tech sector – entrepreneurs, angel investors, venture capitalists, industry leaders, and corporate customers – that will fuel the growth of Cornell’s campus and drive the development of NYC’s tech economy.
• A Proposal Specifically Designed for NYC: Cornell’s proposal would initially organize the campus around four main research hubs: Mobile Social Interaction; Intelligent, Trustworthy Services; Technologies for a Healthier Life; and Smart Technologies for the Built Environment. These hubs are specifically designed to commercialize technologies in key sectors of the NYC economy, such as mobile technology, media, advertising, healthcare, finance, and architecture and design.
Cornell has been committed to New York since 1865 and has created an indelible nexus between NYC and Ithaca. We are incredibly well positioned to build on this long history of partnership to accelerate NYC’s technology boom and to strengthen NYC’s economy for decades to come.
We believe that Cornell is the obvious choice and we strongly encourage you to choose Cornell as your partner to establish NYC as the world’s leading city for developing and commercializing technology.
Cornellians for NYC’s Tech Campus