- Steven G. ThorntonDistrict Director for Gary Miller
- Lucille Roybal-AllardRepresentative
- Megan McCormackPress Secretary to Gary Miller
- Amy Michelle PorterChief of Staff to Ed Royce
- Kevin D. McKeeExecutive Director for Gary Miller
- John G. RothrockChief of Staff to Gary Miller
- Sandra Breitengross BitterLegislative Director to Gary Miller
- Audra L. McGeorgeCommunications Director for Ed Royce
- Darrin W. SchraderLegislative Director to Ed Royce
- Ken CalvertRepresentative
Congressmen Miller and Royce: Denounce Calls for Violence Against Fellow Americans
Last month, a group of protestors picketed a charity event hosted by the relief wing of Islamic Circle of North America. Aiming to raise funds for local women's shelters and combat homelessness, the event featured two highly controversial speakers whose presence drew protests.
The rhetoric of the protest was exceptionally bigoted, with chants of "Muhammed was a child molestor," "why don't you go beat up your wife like you do every night," and "you beat your women and you rape your children."
The hateful insults are nothing though, compared to comments by Villa Park Councilwoman Deborah Pauly, who mentioned she had a son serving in the Marines and added "I know quite a few Marines who would be happy to help these terrorists to a, uh, early meeting in paradise."
Two congressman - Gary Miller and Ed Royce - spoke at the event.
This call for members of the armed services to murder their fellow citizens is despicable, and it is unacceptable for an elected official in this country to participate in an event calling for violence against American citizens.
Call on congressman Miller and Royce to denounce such comments and apologize to the Muslim community, members of the armed services, and America at large for their participation in this event.
Further information on Salon.
- District Director for Gary Miller
Steven G. Thornton
- Press Secretary to Gary Miller
- Chief of Staff to Ed Royce
Amy Michelle Porter
- Executive Director for Gary Miller
Kevin D. McKee
- Chief of Staff to Gary Miller
John G. Rothrock
- Legislative Director to Gary Miller
Sandra Breitengross Bitter
- Communications Director for Ed Royce
Audra L. McGeorge
- Legislative Director to Ed Royce
Darrin W. Schrader
On February 13, you spoke at a protest against the relief wing of Islamic Circle of North America's (ICNA) event in Orange County. At that event, aside from the bigoted taunts insulting Muslims, there was a fighting call for violence against American citizens when Villa Park Councilwoman Deborah Pauly commented that she had a son serving in the Marines and added, "I know quite a few Marines who would be happy to help these terrorists to a, uh, early meeting in paradise."
Congressman - as an elected official in a peaceful democracy, it is incumbent upon you to publicly reject a call for our armed forces to use violence against their fellow Americans. I call upon you to denounce such comments and apologize to the Muslim community, members of the armed services, and America at large for your participation in this event.
While two of ICNA's chosen speakers, Siraj Wahhaj and Abdel Malik Ali, are understandably controversial and draw staunch opposition, the rhetoric of the rally was disgracefully insulting to Muslim Americans and at times threatened or encouraged violence against them. It is unacceptable for an elected official in this country to participate in an event calling for violence against American citizens.
I look forward to your reply at the responses email below.
Weldon Kennedy started this petition with a single signature, and now has 9,661 supporters. Start a petition today to change something you care about.