Congressman Patrick E. Murphy: Pass death with dignity legislation as in Oregon and Washington state
I think most of all the choices we should feel free to make the right to die a painless, peaceful death is a most important one. Aside from this choice the benefit for society will be a tremendous saving to our health care system by eliminating futile and unnecessary hospital expenses that only prolong uncomfortable pain and anxiety. The following can be enacted in Florida in the same compassionate way.
The measure enacted the following provisions regarding lethal overdoses of medicine:
- The patient must be an adult (18 or over) resident of the state of Washington
- The patient must be mentally competent, verified by two physicians (or referred to a mental health evaluation)
- The patient must be terminally ill with less than 6 months to live, verified by two physicians
- The patient must make voluntary requests, without coercion, verified by two physicians
- The patient must be informed of all other options including palliative and hospice care
- There is a 15 day waiting period between the first oral request and a written request
- There is a 48 hour waiting period between the written request and the writing of the prescription
- The written request must be signed by two independent witnesses, at least one of whom is not related to the patient or employed by the health care facility
- The patient is encouraged to discuss with family (not required because of confidentiality laws)
- The patient may change their mind at any time and rescind the request
- Congressman Patrick E. Murphy
- Democratic state representitives in Florida
- Govenor Rick Scott
Pass introduce death with dignity legislation as in Oregon and Washington state. It s the compassion thing to do.
J L started this petition with a single signature, and now has 216 supporters. Start a petition today to change something you care about.