We believe and assert that:
1. That declawing of cats is a radical, inhumane, elective surgery consisting of 10 or 18 amputations, intended to solve a perceived behavior problem.
2. That declawing deprives cats of essential body parts by amputating the last bone of every toe (most commonly 10 on the front paws, sometimes also the 8 on the back paws).
3. That cats suffer chronic physical pain and emotional damage due to declawing.
4. That there are many reasonable, humane alternatives to declawing that will work for any cat with only a small amount of effort and expense to the guardian.
5. That because veterinarians have failed to abide by their own ethical guidelines, and because they have consistently failed to tell the truth about declawing, legislation is necessary.
Jean Hofve, DVM started this petition with a single signature, and now has 4,908 supporters. Start a petition today to change something you care about.