Victory

CITY OF PETALUMA: No cuts to homeless services

This petition made change with 1,081 supporters!


Since 1988, Committee on the Shelterless (COTS) has provided help and hope for homeless people living in Sonoma County. 

OUR PETITION

  • We do not support the City of Petaluma's proposed 47% cut to COTS services for the homeless.
  • We urge the City of Petaluma to prioritize funding for COTS and budget the current level of $150,000 for COTS' programs in its upcoming budget cycle.

HERE'S WHY

  • Homelessness is a city-wide problem and a city-wide responsibility. Public city funds should be used to offer homelessness intervention services - especially when those funds save Petaluma money. Addressing homelessness should not entirely rest solely on police, faith community members, or donations from businesses and the public. 
  • Our city's investment in COTS is money well spent. COTS' most recent funding applications showed that COTS is the most effective homeless shelter in Sonoma County at moving people into permanent housing, making COTS the highest return on investment.
  • Homeless kids are our kids. Homeless families are our families. Homeless veterans are our veterans. Petaluma's citizens should not have to resort to sleeping in vehicles, parks, or other unsafe private/public spaces.
  • Other Sonoma County cities, such as Santa Rosa, have made substantial commitments to funding homelessness programs.
  • A $150,000 investment represents only 15% of COTS' total agency cost to serve the number of Petaluma residents who benefit from COTS' programs each year. COTS leverages the remaining 85% from other public and private sources and 40,000 hours of volunteer service each year.
  • COTS is part of the community and the community is part of COTS. COTS is a vital partner to the Petaluma Police Department, Petaluma Library, the Petaluma Health Center, Petaluma Health Care District, Petaluma Valley Hospital, other social service agencies, drug treatment facilities, faith communities, and a community who wants to ensure a safety net for vulnerable citizens. 

We urge the Petaluma City Council to keep our partnership strong and continue to make homeless services a priority for Petaluma.



Today: Sarah is counting on you

Sarah Quinto needs your help with “CITY OF PETALUMA: No cuts to homeless services”. Join Sarah and 1,080 supporters today.