Demand the termination of the persecution of Falun Gong practitioners in China
0 have signed. Let’s get to 100!
The Chinese government must take responsibility for their inhumane actions, for breaching articles 2,3,5 and 18 of the UDHR and they must allow people to practice Falun Gong without fear of persecution
Falun Gong is a spiritual practice originating in China which combines meditation and qigong techniques, with a philosophy revolving around the values of truthfulness, compassion and forbearance (tolerance) all in hopes of self-betterment/improvement.
The modern qigong movement was born in the early 50’s and was supported by small Communist groups at the time and was promoted as a good way to improve health and later as a form of Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM).
The Falun Gong/Dafa movement was formed in 1992 by Li Hongzhi towards the end of the ‘qigong boom’. The movement initially enjoyed a considerable amount of support and promotion from groups that officially supported traditional Chinese medicine amid the early years of its advancement, like the state-run Qigong Association, even many members of the Communist party had positive feelings/views towards it.
However, things began to change in the mid-90s.
The Chinese government started placing stricter rules and regulations on various qigong movements to keep Falun Gong's increasing popularity at bay, and in 1995, when Li Hongzhi declined the Chinese Communist Party’s offer to strengthen relations with them and filed to detach Falun Gong from the state-run qigong association, tensions skyrocketed. In response to this, in 1996 Falun Gong began to come under increasingly high surveillance from the Chinese security network and criticism from the Chinese govt’s propaganda department, depicting Falun Gong as ‘feudal superstition’ and that the ideologies of Falun Gong went against China’s communist ideologies and agenda.
The CCP was pushed to it’s breaking point in 1998, when surveys officially showed that there were more people practicing Falun Gong than there were members of the CCP, with 70-100 million Chinese people practicing Falun Gong, making Falun Gong possibly the largest independent group in China’s history.
From then, under the authority of former General Secretary of the Chinese Communist Party, Jiang Zemin, who was hell-bent on ridding China of the Falun Gong movement, the persecution of Falun Gong practitioners began.
Falun Gong is now presented as a religious cult, it’s practitioners in China are forced into prisons and labour camps to face torture and death, like 3 year detainee and Falun Gong practitioner Jintao Liu, who told news.com.au that among other methods of torture:
“The incident which marked me the most was when they, four of (the prison guards), stripped me of my clothes, and used the toilet brush to pierce my anus, saying that they would pierce until I turned homosexual,”
“They pulled my pubic hairs and played with my genitals.”
Some are used to supply the state's disgusting organ harvesting industry, something that Australian transplant doctors have controversially defended in the past, and many decide that they have no choice but to flee China. Li Hongzhi himself also fled, but he is now the subject of many propaganda stories and is presented as a superstitious fraud in China.
By simply signing this petition, you can help bring change to the lives of Falun Gong practitioners in China and end 18 years of persecution.
· Palin, M 2016, ‘Extreme torture: Inside China’s correctional facilities’, News.com, 19 September, accessed 5 September 2017, <http://www.news.com.au/world/asia/extreme-torture-inside-chinas-correctional-facilities/news-story/7e4a796bc1401d593f5cc58d7fd32ecb>
· ‘CHINA: FALUN GONG PRACTITIONER AT RISK OF TORTURE: QIN WEI’ 2016, Amnesty International, vol. N/A, no. N/A, 17 June, accessed 31 August 2017, <https://www.amnesty.org/en/documents/asa17/4275/2016/en/>
· Stop Organ Harvesting in China n.d., Stop Organ Harvesting in China, N/A, N/A, accessed 6 September 2017, <http://www.stoporganharvesting.org/what-is-falun-gong/>
· Falun Gong 2017. Britannica School. Retrieved 8 September 2017,
· Swoop Films 2016, WHY IS FALUN GONG PERSECUTED IN CHINA?, N/A, N/A, accessed 6 September 2017, <http://persecutionoffalungong.com/why>
· China Uncensored, N 2014, What is Falun Gong? | China Uncensored, online video, 14 April, accessed 7 September 2017, <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_cURws4UaY>
· Aubusson, K 2015, ‘China's gruesome live organ harvest exposed in documentary’, Sydney Morning Herald, 8 April, accessed 8 September 2017, <http://www.smh.com.au/world/chinas-gruesome-live-organ-harvest-exposed-in-documentary-20150407-1mgabb.html>
- Swoop Films, N 2016, The Persecution of Falun Gong (OFFICIAL ENGLISH VERSION), online video, 24 January, accessed 3 September 2017, <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KiP-5MfA1Mk>
· Fenley, R 2016, ‘Australian organ transplant doctors defend China ties’, SBS, 19 August, accessed 9 September 2017, <http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/2016/08/19/australian-organ-transplant-doctors-defend-china-ties>
Today: Farhan is counting on you
Farhan Rezaul needs your help with “Cheng Jingye : Demand the termination of the persecution of Falun Gong practitioners in China”. Join Farhan and 50 supporters today.