Stop the neglect of our children at noncompliant facilities which result in fatalities.
This petition made change with 15,539 supporters!
On August 7, 2017, at approximately 8 PM EST, just three years old and looking forward to celebrating his fourth birthday on August 22nd, Myles Hill was found deceased in the back of a childcare facility van. The child's family called the "Little Miracles Academy," which is one of two daycare facilities located in Orlando, Florida. After reporting to law enforcement possible neglect was involved, the horrendous discovery was made.
According to USA TODAY sources; "Orlando Police Chief John Mina said 3-year-old Myles Hill spent all day in the van outside the Little Miracles Academy before he was discovered Monday night. Mina wouldn't say what charges the day care worker could face but says the worker has been cooperative. Detectives were awaiting autopsy results, but believe they will show the death was caused by the heat. Temperatures reached a high of 94-degrees Fahrenheit in Orlando on Monday. Temperatures inside a vehicle under the summer sun can rise much higher."
UPDATE 8/12/17 (Driver/childcare employee arrested and charges filed. Several license violations were also reported by local sources.)
Here lays the need for community empowerment by contacting local, state and federal lawmakers better monitor and enforce upgraded guidelines and stricter policies concerning daycare and child care centers not in compliance with federal, and state laws which govern how to better protect our children who are entrusted to the care of paraprofessionals, childcare workers.
- We are proposing our State Representatives lobby this Bill at the next legislative session in our State Capitol.
- The "Check For Myles" Law will include the following introductory points.
- A safeguard system to ensure child-care workers are held accountable; electronically.
- Transportation logs upgraded to electronic systems, accessible by participating child care sites and monitored by supervisors.
- A "3" Step system of checks and balances. Ex: "Children are transported from one facility to another facility, owned and operated under the same daycare license. Physical head-count will be conducted before loading passengers after passengers are seated and before passengers are unloaded."
- Transportation vehicles must be equipped with dash cams and alerts which are activated only after the "responsible party" has physically inspected the vehicle's seats and floors and depressed a monitor which alerts base that an inspection has been completed and the worker must recheck vehicle, crawl spaces, bathrooms, or any areas which may become a "hiding space," for a child.
- Furthermore, inspection checks should be executed at two-four hour intervals to ensure accountability and a lesser opportunity for stricter monitoring.
- We propose that state funding is allocated for those facilities upgrading or installing security alarms in vehicles, (alerting facility if log out and head count have not been properly logged in.)
- We also propose temporary child care facilitation for those displaced children due to facilities in noncompliance and shut down as the result of.
Tina M. Wilson-Author/Moderator/Spokesperson
Chiel Banks (Mother of Myles Hill)
Today: Tina is counting on you
Tina Wilson needs your help with “#CheckForMyles Three-year-old Myles Hill was left unaccounted for by childcare workers. The total disregard for state laws and mandates resulted in his needless and untimely death. #CheckForMyles”. Join Tina and 15,538 supporters today.