- House of Commons
Reaffirm our role as global peacekeepers by helping to end conflict in eastern Congo.
Dr. Jane Goodall was named a UN Messenger of Peace for her humanitarian work and global message, “To achieve global peace, we must not only stop fighting each other, but also stop destroying the natural world.”
The Jane Goodall Institute (JGI) works in eastern Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC), where the mining of valuable minerals is financing a civil war that has killed over five million people. The war is causing overwhelming suffering and environmental destruction, making JGI’s conservation work in this area challenging, but crucial.
DRC’s minerals are used to make many products that Canadians use each day, such as cell phones, laptops and light bulbs. This petition supports the Conflict Minerals Act (Bill C-486), which would require Canadian companies using minerals from DRC to confirm whether armed groups involved in the war may have profited from the mining or processing of their minerals. This would then:
1. Allow Canadians to be more confident in their product choices,
2. Generate a demand for conflict-free products, and
3. Help keep conflict minerals out of the Canadian market.
Join us in helping to stop the conflict by signing JGI’s petition. Together we can help bring urgently-needed peace to DRC.
- House of Commons
• The war in DRC has caused incredible suffering and violence; and
• The war is financed by the conflict minerals that end up in many consumer products; and
• We can stop the war by stopping conflict minerals from entering our markets; and
• The Conflict Minerals Act would ensure that we end the trade of conflict minerals,
Therefore, we the undersigned citizens and residents of Canada, call upon the House of Commons to adopt Bill C-486, known as the Conflict Minerals Act.
the Jane Goodall Institute of Canada started this petition with a single signature, and now has 1,810 supporters. Start a petition today to change something you care about.
Today: the Jane Goodall Institute of Canada is counting on you
the Jane Goodall Institute of Canada needs your help with “Canadians: Reaffirm our role as global peacekeepers by helping to end conflict in eastern Congo.”. Join the Jane Goodall Institute of Canada and 1,809 supporters today.