- The Honourable Diane AblonczyMinister of State of Foreign Affairs (Americas and Consular Affairs)
- The Right Honourable Stephen HarperPrime Minister of Canada
- Karim Ebrahim Al-ShakarUndersecretary of International Affairs, Bahrain
- Yusuf Ahmed AbdullahConsular Directorate, Bahrain
- The Honourable John BairdMinister of Foreign Affairs
- Stephen HarperLeader, Conservative Party of Canada / Chef, Parti Conservateur du Canada
Canadian Tortured in Bahrain: Bring Him Home!
Naser Bader Al-Raas is a Canadian citizen who has been arrested, tortured, and imprisoned in Bahrain.
Naser suffers from serious heart and lung problems. He has had two open-heart surgeries and requires special medication for his condition. He needs to return to Canada for medical treatment.
Amnesty International has declared Naser to be a prisoner of conscience, and called for the government to intervene: http://www.amnesty.ca/media2010.php?DocID=1036
Join the Facebook group "Free Naser" to receive updates on his status.
- Minister of State of Foreign Affairs (Americas and Consular Affairs)
The Honourable Diane Ablonczy
- Prime Minister of Canada
The Right Honourable Stephen Harper
- Undersecretary of International Affairs, Bahrain
Karim Ebrahim Al-Shakar
- Consular Directorate, Bahrain
Yusuf Ahmed Abdullah
- Minister of Foreign Affairs
The Honourable John Baird
- Member of Parliament Calgary Southwest
- Leader, Conservative Party of Canada / Chef, Parti Conservateur du Canada
I am writing to bring your attention to a matter of great urgency. Naser Bader Al-Raas is a Canadian citizen who has been tortured and sentenced in Bahrain for exercising his right to freedom of expression.
On January 24 2012, Naser was sentenced to five years in prison for peaceful participation in a human rights rally. Due to his heart condition, this could easily be a death sentence.
You are already aware of the details of this case, and I understand that your response has been to "urge the Government of Bahrain to review the case" and to commute Naser's sentence. This response is unacceptable. Canada must publicly and unequivocally condemn Naser's conviction and his treatment. The verdict is clearly politically motivated, and the trial has not met any reasonable standard of due process. Canada must demand that all charges against him be dropped - not simply commuted.
It has been months since the Hon. Diane Ablonczy urged the Bahrainian Government to review Naser's case. The Bahrainis have ignored this plea, and sentenced Naser. The consular assistance that Ms. Ablonczy claims is happening has made no impact.
We must take a firmer stand now. It is time to bring Naser home, before it's too late!
Katie Edwards started this petition with a single signature, and now has 1,203 supporters. Start a petition today to change something you care about.
Today: Katie is counting on you
Katie Edwards needs your help with “Canadian Tortured in Bahrain: Bring Him Home!”. Join Katie and 1,202 supporters today.