CALLING FOR A MORATORIUM ON MANSIONIZATION & SMALL LOT SUBDIVISIONS IN VENICE, CA
This petition had 875 supporters
We the undersigned call for the following:
- an immediate moratorium on the 'McMansionization' of VENICE
- an immediate moratorium on Small Lot Subdivisions (SLS) in VENICE
- a denial of all Small Lot Subdivisions currently pending for VENICE
- no building permits to be issued for Small Lot Subdivisions prior to recordation of final map In VENICE
- FULL public notification and participation, as set forth by Federal, State, and Local Law, in any and all proposed developments in VENICE.
Additionally, we the undersigned call for full enforcement of the California Coastal Act, the Mello Act, and the Venice Coastal Zone Specific Plan, because the cumulative effect of recent development in VENICE is diminishing the quality of life for it’s residents, and negating the purpose of said protections put in place to preserve the Coastal Zone.
Here are 3 consistent and repeated ways that the City is ignoring and violating Venice Coastal Zone Specific Plan (VCZSP):
1. City Planning is interpreting the Small Lot Subdivision Ordinance (SLSO) to trump the Specific Plan, although the law says that specific plans always trump ordinances. The City is interpreting the Small Lot Subdivision Ordinance to allow more units on lots than the Specific Plan allows, and is not requiring any guest parking at all, and is allowing tandem parking that people often don't use, rather than side-by-side parking.
2. Allowing buildings to be constructed to the maximum possible size even when the proposed building is totally out of scale with the neighborhood i.e. three story buildings that block all of the neighbors' sunlight in a one-story or two-story neighborhood. The Specific Plan requires an evaluation of the compatibility of the mass and scale of the proposed building with the other buildings in the neighborhood. The Planning Department does not do this, and they have set up a process where there is no appeal.
If the Planning Department continues to get away with this, soon Venice will be all 3-story compounds with very little sun or air between the buildings.
3. The Planning Department is issuing illegal DIRs that blatantly violate the Specific Plan. Then the City says that there's no appeal because the 14-day deadline has passed. The community has no real notice and no opportunity to respond. The City refuses to email citizens a .pdf of the DIRs as they are issued, they only send a mailed copy.
Whereas per The CA Coastal Act.
Section 30116 Sensitive Coastal Resource Areas – Venice has the following characteristics:
b. areas possessing significant recreational value.
c. Special communities or neighborhoods which are significant visitor designation areas.
Areas that provide existing coastal housing or recreational opportunities for low- and moderate income-persons.
The public has a right to fully participate in decisions affecting coastal planning, conservation and development.
From Section 30250 Location; existing developed area:
“In addition, land divisions, other than leases for agricultural uses, outside existing developed areas shall be permitted only where 50 percent of the usable parcels in the area have been developed and the created parcels would be no smaller than the average size of surrounding parcels.”
Section 30251 Scenic and visual qualities:
“Permitted development shall be sited and designed to protect views to and along the ocean and scenic coastal areas.
Section 30252 (e) and enhancement of public access:
Where appropriate, protect special communities and neighborhoods that, because of their unique characteristics, are popular visitor destination points for recreational uses.”
Today: VENICE COALITION TO PRESERVE OUR UNIQUE COMMUNITY CHARACTER (VC-PUCC) is counting on you
VENICE COALITION TO PRESERVE OUR UNIQUE COMMUNITY CHARACTER (VC-PUCC) needs your help with “CALLING FOR A MORATORIUM ON SMALL LOT SUBDIVISIONS & MANSIONIZATION IN VENICE, CA”. Join VENICE COALITION TO PRESERVE OUR UNIQUE COMMUNITY CHARACTER (VC-PUCC) and 874 supporters today.