Tomás RomeroBurbank, CA, United States
Nov 19, 2020

Hey again-

Sorry for the radio silence of late. There hasn’t been that much to report as we have no word back yet from Matt Hill or the board on what is going on.

I did, however, receive a very interesting phone call today from a high-ranking official at the Burbank Teacher’s union. If you recall, I had emailed the union when I started the petition and this person called me earlier today to ask for an update on the number of parents who have signed.

She said that there is fairly intense pressure on the SPED and EL teachers right now to return to the classroom in person to do small group classes. The majority of teachers in the union, however, do not feel safe going in. The union had asked that the decision to return be based on volunteers as there are some who want to go in regardless of the risk. But BUSD is pushing for them all to return. Which is kind of infuriating. Especially since it feels like the teachers are being strong-armed into doing something that many of them don’t feel safe doing.  

I asked her why she thinks that BUSD is doing this and if it a money or funding thing for the district but she suggested very plainly that this push towards a hybrid model is about appeasing parents who want their kids to return to school full-time. It is NOT about funding or money. What makes the situation doubly frustrating is that teachers and parents are left in a seemingly endless holding pattern while BUSD weighs their options while the fact that the COVID numbers in LA County (and pretty much everywhere else!) are so terrible right now that we probably won’t be returning to the classroom in January anyway. 

Anyway, she encouraged me to speak to the issue again tonight and let the board know that our feelings have not changed and, for me at least, they have only gotten stronger in light of the crazy infection rates we’re seeing.

She also asked me to urge parents of SPED or EL kids who have signed the petition to speak to their concerns tonight as well. So, if any of you are or know parents who fall into that group or know of any other concerned parents or teachers who might want to lend their voices to the cause, please ask them to email Dr. Hill and the board BEFORE the meeting tonight or speak up during the public comment portion of the meeting. You must be pre-approved to speak and you have to sign up by 5:45PM with BUSD’s Kimberley Clark. Here’s her email address: kimberleyclark@burbankusd.org

The woman I spoke to told me that BUSD has not decided anything yet and if they have they have, they have definitely NOT shared that information with the union. I’m just a little anxious that she called me at all. It makes me think teachers need our support on this more now than ever!

So, spread the word and I hope to see you tonight!

Tomás

PS: On a more positive note, we just passed 828 signatures on our petition! Thank you so much for your support! Please continue sharing this petition with anyone you think might share our concerns. Here’s the link to share: https://www.change.org/p/busd-continue-current-distance-learning-model-burbank-schools-for-2021

Copy link
WhatsApp
Facebook
Nextdoor
Email
X