Prevention Starts with You! #SayNoToBurns
0 have signed. Let’s get to 500!
According to Medlineplus, a burn is damage to your body's tissues caused by heat, chemicals, electricity, sunlight, or radiation. The most common causes of it are scalds from hot liquids and steam, building fires and flammable liquids and gases. A severe burn can be a seriously devastating injury -- not only physically but emotionally. It can affect not only the burn victim, but the entire family.
Effects of Burns
- loss of certain physical abilities, including loss of limb(s)
- loss of mobility
- recurrent infections because the burned skin has decreased ability to fight infection
Severe burns can penetrate deep skin layers, causing muscle or tissue damage that may affect every system of the body. Anyone could be at risk. Thus, we must prevent it from happening.
Prevent burns by:
- Never leave items cooking on the stove unattended.
- Turn pot handles toward the rear of the stove.
- Keep hot liquids out of the reach of children and pets.
- Keep electrical appliances away from water.
- Test food temperatures before serving
- Never cook while wearing loosefitting clothes that could catch fire over the stove.
- If a small child is present, block his or her access to heat sources such as a stove, outdoor grill, fireplace and space heater.
- Before placing a child in a car seat, check for hot straps or buckles.
- Unplug irons and similar devices when not in use. Store them out of reach of small children.
- Cover unused electrical outlets with safety caps. Keep electrical cords and wires out of the way so that children don't chew on them.
- If you must smoke, avoid smoking in the house and especially never smoke in bed.
- Keep a fire extinguisher on every floor of your house
- Keep chemicals, lighters and matches out of the reach of children.
- Test water temperature before taking a bath
Each one of us must start acting now. If not now, then when?
Join us in our petition. Let us all prevent BURNS!
Today: Isabelle is counting on you
Isabelle Fernando needs your help with “Burn Prevention”. Join Isabelle and 204 supporters today.