The Honorable Hu Jintao
President of the People's Republic of China
RE: Total Cancellation of China's Hydro-power plan Project
Dear Mr. President,
We are Burmese expatriates currently living in the various states in the United States of America. First of all, we would like to express our heartfelt thanks to you and the People’s Republic of China for being a fraternal (“paukphaw”) neighbor of our country, while your people are enjoying the modern developed and prosperous nation. We believe that the People’s Republic of China will continue to strengthen the existing friendly relations with our country, based on mutual respect and cooperation, for common interest in the future.
As you may well be aware, the people of Burma expressed their grave concerns over the devastating consequences and tremendous impact of Irrawaddy Myitsone hydropower project being implemented with investment from the People’s Republic of China. You have also been formally informed of the temporary suspension of the construction of Myitsone Dam by the current Burmese regime, due to rising public concerns.
We have come up with the following findings on the root causes of the problem of hydropower project:
1. The People’s Republic of China signed a series of economic agreements with the illegitimate Burmese military regime which focused on personal interests;
2. Despite its practice of the principle of non-interference in one another’s affairs, the People’s Republic of China, in the absence of fairness, was dealing and investing only with the Burmese military rulers without regards to Burma’s stability and tranquility; and
3. With respect to its policy towards Burma, the People’s Republic of China was totally promoting its self-interest and ignored the aspirations and interests of the people of Burma.
Under these circumstances, China’s image has been severely damaged in the world unfortunately.
We, the people of Burma, would like to see China as our friendly neighbor that respects sovereignty and people’s power of our country and promotes bilateral cooperation in the areas of common interest.
We would like to suggest the People’s Republic of China, as our good neighbor, to take the following actions:
1. Immediate cancellation of the planned hydropower project on the Irrawaddy River confluence;
2. Pressure the Burmese authorities for genuine national reconciliation in Burma, as its political stability will benefit neighboring China; and
3. Immediate suspension of China’s investments in Burma, coordinate with other interested countries to push for the real democratic reforms and emergence of the civilian government truly elected by the people of Burma and sign a raft of economic pacts only with such government.
Thank you for your attention to this important letter.
shwe htee started this petition with a single signature, and now has 119 supporters. Start a petition today to change something you care about.