Are your Burger King cheese purchases funding horrific animal abuse?
A breaking Mercy For Animals investigation reveals sadistic animal torture at Bettencourt Dairies—a Burger King supplier. The investigation has already led to three workers, including a manager of the dairy, being charged with criminal cruelty to animals.
MFA’s hidden camera captured:
• Workers and management viciously beating and shocking cows and violently twisting their tails in order to deliberately inflict pain
• Workers and management repeatedly shocking a downed cow and then dragging her by her neck using a chain attached to a tractor
• Extremely unsafe and unsanitary conditions, including feces-covered floors that cause cows to regularly slip, fall, and injure themselves
• Sick or injured cows suffering from open wounds, broken bones, and infected udders left to suffer without veterinary care
Far from leading the carefree lives portrayed in the dairy industry's “happy cow” commercials, cows exploited and killed for Burger King cheese endure lives of near constant misery and deprivation.
Treated as mere milk-producing machines, these intelligent and social animals suffer almost unimaginable abuse from the time they are born and ripped from their mothers' sides until they are so physically worn out from repeated pregnancies and constant milk production that they are sold for slaughter.
Burger King has the power and the moral responsibility to help end some of the worst forms of animal abuse in the dairy industry.
Please join MFA in urging Burger King to immediately implement meaningful animal protection guidelines for all dairy suppliers, including zero tolerance for animal abuse, care for “downers,” and an end to mutilations without painkillers.
Use the form below to send a polite email to Burger King CEO Bernardo Hees, and then share the undercover investigation video with friends, and encourage them to take action, too.
I was shocked and horrified by the animal abuse recently documented on hidden camera by Mercy For Animals at one of your cheese suppliers—Bettencourt Dairies.
I was disgusted to see workers punching and kicking cows in the face and body, horrendous filth and feces causing the animals to slip, fall and injure themselves, and sick or injured cows denied proper veterinary care.
Due to Burger King’s complete lack of meaningful animal welfare standards, blatant and sadistic animal cruelty was allowed to flourish at this factory farm.
No socially responsible corporation should support dairy operations that beat, kick, mutilate, confine, and neglect animals. Burger King must take immediate actions to prevent further abuse at its suppliers.
It's time for Burger King to become a true leader on animal protection issues by adopting new, stricter policies to prevent this unnecessary animal abuse, including:
• Zero tolerance for animal abuse
• Requirement that suppliers provide a clean and sanitary environment for cattle
• Proper care and transportation for sick, injured, and downed animals
• Elimination of mutilations without painkillers, including tail docking, a cruel and outdated practice that involves cutting through the skin, nerves, and bones of cows and is opposed by the American Veterinary Medical Association
In a civilized society it is our moral obligation to protect all animals, including cows raised for cheese, from needless cruelty and violence.
Thank you for your time and consideration.