Stop the planning and construction of the proposed Nine Elms to Pimlico Bridge and the unnecessary expenditure of £43 million pounds on this project. This money can be put to better use.
This petition had 803 supporters
Wandsworth Council are pushing forward with a bridge between Nine Elms and Pimlico and have hired Colander Associates to operate a design competition www.nepbridgecompetition.co.uk.
The proposed bridge is not yet live. Let’s keep it that way. TFL’s initial feasibility studies estimated time savings, compared with crossing the existing bridges, of around 7 minutes for pedestrians, and 1 minute for cyclists.
The two existent bridges of Chelsea and Vauxhall are about 1 mile apart.
The proposed Nine Elms to Pimlico Bridge would cause:
1. The catastrophic loss of Pimlico Gardens & Shrubbery, the only riverside garden square in London;
2. The loss of amenity in St George’s Square gardens, the only significant public green space and play area in Pimlico, to the detriment of residents from the whole of Pimlico;
3. A threat to the existence of Westminster Boating Charity, a longstanding youth charity in Pimlico;
4. The loss of and damage to many high value mature trees in both gardens;
5. An estimated 9000 cyclists and/or 9000 pedestrians crossing over the bridge every day, ruining the tranquil character of St George’s Square and causing disruption to residents across Pimlico;
6. Vehicle traffic congestion on Grosvenor Road backing up along the embankment to Vauxhall Bridge, Millbank, Lupus Street, Chelsea Bridge and beyond, with associated noise and pollution;
7. Congestion at Pimlico Underground Station during peak hours.
Today: Pimlico Grid is counting on you
Pimlico Grid Residents Association needs your help with “Boris Johnson: Stop the planning and construction of the proposed Nine Elms to Pimlico Bridge and the unnecessary expenditure of £43 million pounds on this project. This money can be put to better use.”. Join Pimlico Grid and 802 supporters today.