Dear Mr Nogel
We are shocked and horrified by the killing of Sasha, Pepper and Ringo on March 6, 2014 when the shelter staff were aware that a rescue was on their way to save them. These three dogs were killed just an hour before the transport arrived, despite emails between the rescue and shelter arranging the rescue of these dogs.
Recent figures received from your office indicate that 1425 animals were euthanized in the shelter last year. Of these almost 1300 were never posted on the shelters facebook page - 1300 were killed and not given a chance.
Many changes are needed at the Vermilion shelter. We support the following changes which could be made immediately and with very little or no cost.
1. ALL animals to be posted on the VPRAC facebook page with intake date irregardless of breed unless they have shown documented signs of aggression.
2. A weekly e-list to be posted on the VPRAC Facebook page so people can be informed of exactly which animals are in danger and exactly how long they have to aid in networking and decreasing the need to kill healthy animals. No euthanization of animals unless shelter is at capacity.
3. Volunteers to be allowed to help with photographing animals and temperament testing to help with networking. This will also improve the quality of life of the animals in the shelter as they will get much needed socialization.
4. Volunteers to be allowed to help with the running of the facebook page in order to not place additional workload on the staff.
5. Better communication with approved rescues. Many emails from rescues are not answered in a timely manner.
6. Faster approval of rescues. Many rescues send in their 501c(3) paperwork and never receive approval.
7. Allowing approved rescues to tag animals to be saved within 48 hours without them having to be placed in one of the few safe kennels.
All of these changes would allow the shelter and rescues to work together better in order to save the lives of more animals which surely should be the aim of any compassionate human being.
Animal Aid for Vermilion Area started this petition with a single signature, and now has 7,405 supporters. Start a petition today to change something you care about.