MAKE DIVERSITY TRAINING A REQUIREMENT FOR ALL BELLEVUE SCHOOL DISTRICT STAFF
0 have signed. Let’s get to 500!
The Bellevue School District is diverse:
- About 1 in 5 students comes from a country outside of the United States.
- Over 80 languages are spoken, with over 36% of students speaking a first language other than English.
- Our student body is 2% African-American, 39% Asian, 11% Hispanic, 9% Multi-Ethnic and 36% white.
- About 1 in 5 students receives free or reduced-price meals.
Our schools include: 15 regular elementary schools, 1 Spanish Immersion elementary school, 1 Mandarin dual language elementary school, 5 regular middle schools, 4 regular high schools, and 2 choice schools (grade 6 – 12). We have a staff of about 2,000 employees, including 1,100 teachers, who are charged with leading and educating our students. About 1 in 3 Bellevue teachers are National Board-certified, and over 3 in 4 of our teachers hold a master’s degree. The training of the adults who interact with our students daily is vital to their education.
We are concerned parents and members of the Bellevue community who have recently learned that diversity training is not required for the teachers and staff in the Bellevue school district. This is unfathomable! We strive to make diversity, equity and inclusion core values of our Bellevue community, so it is imperative that our teachers are adequately prepared to help us achieve this goal. Diversity training is essential for teachers and staff to have a level of understanding about each other and about the children that they have been entrusted to guide and teach in order to ensure an outstanding educational experience for every child in the Bellevue School District. This training will be very beneficial for the teachers and staff, as it will equip them with tools to handle both diversity and conflict within the student body.
Sign this petition to:
- Ask the Bellevue School District (BSD) to provide diversity and equity training to all BSD employees, and to make this training a requirement for all BSD staff. Training is already available through BSD’s Department of Equity and is underutilized.
- Ask the Bellevue Education Association (BEA, the teacher’s union) to add the requirement for diversity training for all teachers and staff represented by BEA in the current contract being negotiated with BSD.
Support from all concerned adults in the Bellevue school district would go a long way in getting to the goal of 1,000 signatures by May 30, 2018. So multiple adults in the same household are asked to all sign the petition and show support. High school students are also encouraged to sign the petition to lend your voice to this cause as you are directly impacted by this. In that case, please indicate that you're a student either in the comments or along with your name.
Please sign today and share the link with your friends and neighbors in the Bellevue Community.
Thank you for your support!
~Concerned Parents and Friends of Bellevue
Today: Louise is counting on you
Louise Reeves needs your help with “Bellevue School District: MAKE DIVERSITY TRAINING A REQUIREMENT FOR ALL BELLEVUE SCHOOL DISTRICT STAFF”. Join Louise and 307 supporters today.