Declare July Fibroids Awareness Month Nationally
This petition had 573 supporters
- The fibroids epidemic plagues an astronomical 80% to 90% of black women, 70% of white women and 60% of Hispanic and Asian women by age 50.
- This pervasive women’s health issue receives little attention, but wreaks devastation in women’s physical, professional, financial, relational and family lives.
- There is a dearth of clear information accessible to patients on what causes fibroids, why they are more prevalent amongst African American women and there is limited information about and access to minimally trained gynecologists in their communities.
- Furthermore, there is no legislation mandating early detection that would drive the proactive offering of minimally invasive treatment options that can preserve fertility, while significantly reducing complications experienced in open surgeries and the accompanying recovery times.
- African American women account for an astounding number of 200,000 hysterectomies performed annually. This reveals health inequities in the information about and access to minimally invasive treatment options in their communities.
THE RESPONSE | The White Dress Project – Legislation & Advocacy
- Fibroids survivor Tanika Gray Valbrun founded The White Dress Project (TWDP)—a nonprofit 501c3 dedicated to raising fibroids awareness and funds for research to fight this epidemic—in 2014 on the one-year anniversary of her first myomectomy.
- In 2014, TWDP secured a Georgia State House of Representatives resolution proclaiming July “Fibroids Awareness Month” in Georgia. New York, Florida and New Orleans were added to the list in 2015 and the Georgia House of Representatives Resolution 612 for a “Study Committee on Fibroids Awareness and Education” was passed and adopted the same year.
- Most recently, a Congressional House resolution proclaiming July Fibroids Awareness Month nationally was introduced in the U.S. House by Congressman David Scott (GA-13).
THE RESPONSE | Hope Beyond Fibroids – Awareness & Advocacy
- TWDP national spokesperson and board member Gessie Thompson is an Author, Fibroids & Fertility Coach and Speaker. Impassioned to empower, educate and inspire women regarding fibroids, she wrote HOPE BEYOND FIBROIDS: Stories of Miracle Babies & the Journey to Motherhood—a collection of 15 powerful stories of women who battled fibroids, infertility issues and complications to bring their babies into the world. It also features the story of TWDP founder Tanika’s personal fibroids story and how it inspired her to create TWDP as well as educational tools such as a Fibroids FAQ and glossary of medical terms.
Within six months of the release of her book at ESSENCE Festival—the country's "biggest live event"—in July of 2015, after a published article in ESSENCE magazine of her battle with fibroids and infertility went viral on Facebook, Gessie Thompson partnered with Aboriginal Medical Association Naturopathic Drs. Amsu Anpu and Amun Neb to launch the ground-breaking 90-Day Hope Beyond Fibroids Elimination Program.
The program, which combines holistic approach of spirit, mind and body healing, leverages coaching, nutrition change, supplements and medicine Qi Gong to cure the estrogen dominance plaguing women with reproductive issues such as Fibroids, Infertility, PCOS, Endometriosis and more.
THE SOLUTION | Fight Fibroids By Helping Us Secure a Presidential Proclamation Declaring July Fibroids Awareness Month
- Add your voice to ours. Join us in fighting fibroids by signing this petition for a presidential proclamation declaring July "Fibroids Awareness Month!"
Learn more about THE WHITE DRESS PROJECT at www.TheWhiteDressProject.com and sign up at http://www.HopeBeyondFibroids.com/Elimination to DOWNLOAD and LISTEN to the FREE "90-DAY HOPE BEYOND FIBROIDS AWARENESS TELESEMINAR MP3 to learn how to ELIMINATE your FIBROIDS without surgery naturally!
Thank you! #TheWhiteDresstotheWhiteHouse
Today: Gessie is counting on you
Gessie Thompson needs your help with “Barack Obama: Declare July Fibroids Awareness Month Nationally”. Join Gessie and 572 supporters today.