Doctors For Marriage Equality
This petition had 1,396 supporters
Petition now closed. Thanks for signing! Please see our website drs4equality.com for details of the next steps!
Facebook page is at - https://www.facebook.com/DoctorsForMarriageEquality
Contact e-mail address - firstname.lastname@example.org
We believe in marriage equality. We believe that marriage is about love, not gender. We believe that homophobia and intolerance leads to increased depression, anxiety, self harm and suicide. We believe as doctors we have a responsibility to stand up for our patients' rights, regardless of sexual orientation.
We want Australia to make same sex marriage legal.
Write your name and qualifications below to add your voice of support.
**Yes, we know the formatting of the letter is messed up - it will be fixed!
REFERENCE LIST (please contact me if you have more to add!):
1. Hatzenbuehler ML. The social environment and suicide attempts in lesbian, gay, and bisexual youth. Pediatrics. 2011 May;127(5):896-903. Epub 2011 Apr 18. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21502225.1
2. King M, Semlyen J, Tai SS, Killaspy H, Osborn D, Popelyuk D, Nazareth I. A systematic review of mental disorder, suicide, and deliberate self harm in lesbian, gay and bisexual people.BMC Psychiatry. 2008 Aug 18;8:70.
3. McNair R, Szalacha LA, Hughes TL. Health status, health service use, and satisfaction according to sexual identity of young Australian women. Womens Health Issues. 2011 Jan-Feb;21(1):40-7. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21185989.1
4. Meyer IH. Prejudice, social stress, and mental health in lesbian, gay, and bisexual populations: conceptual issues and research evidence. Psychol Bull. 2003 Sep;129(5):674-97. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2072932/?tool=pubmed
5. Hatzenbuehler ML. How does sexual minority stigma "get under the skin"? A psychological mediation framework. Psychol Bull. 2009 Sep;135(5):707-30. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19702379.1
6. Carbone DJ. Treatment of gay men for post-traumatic stress disorder resulting from social ostracism and ridicule: cognitive behavior therapy and eye movement desensitization and reprocessing approaches. Arch Sex Behav. 2008 Apr;37(2):305-16. Epub 2007 Aug 3. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17674178.1
7. Burgess D, Tran A, Lee R, van Ryn M. Effects of perceived discrimination on mental health and mental health services utilization among gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender persons. J LGBT Health Res. 2007;3(4):1-14. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19042907.1
8. McLaren S. The interrelations between sexual orientation, sense of belonging and dysphoria among Australian women. Women Health. 2006;43(3):123-37. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17194681.1
9. Plöderl M, Fartacek R. Suicidality and associated risk factors among lesbian, gay, and bisexual compared to heterosexual Austrian adults. Suicide Life Threat Behav. 2005 Dec;35(6):661-70. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16552981.1
10. McNair R, Kavanagh A, Agius P, Tong B. The mental health status of young adult and mid-life non-heterosexual Australian women. Aust N Z J Public Health. 2005 Jun;29(3):265-71. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15991776.1
11. McAndrew S, Warne T. Ignoring the evidence dictating the practice: sexual orientation, suicidality and the dichotomy of the mental health nurse. J Psychiatr Ment Health Nurs. 2004 Aug;11(4):428-34. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15255917.1
12. Bagley C, Tremblay P. Elevated rates of suicidal behavior in gay, lesbian, and bisexual youth. Crisis. 2000;21(3):111-7. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11265836.1
13. Herek GM, Gillis JR, Cogan JC. Psychological sequelae of hate-crime victimization among lesbian, gay, and bisexual adults. J Consult Clin Psychol. 1999 Dec;67(6):945-51. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10596515.1
14. Safren SA, Heimberg RG. Depression, hopelessness, suicidality, and related factors in sexual minority and heterosexual adolescents. J Consult Clin Psychol. 1999 Dec;67(6):859-66. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10596508.1
15. Nanette Gartrell, Henny Bos; US National Longitudinal Lesbian Family Study: Psychological Adjustment of 17-Year-Old Adolescents. Paediatrics, Vol. 126 No. 1 July 1 2010 pp28-36 http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/content/126/1/28
16. Timothy J Biblarz, Judith Stacey; How Does the Gender of Parents Matter? Journal of Marriage and Family, Vol. 72, 1:3-22, Feb 2010. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1741-3737.2009.00678.x/abstract;jsessionid=08EB4394CA79479599109E55BFAB0CBE.d01t04?userIsAuthenticated=false&deniedAccessCustomisedMessage
17. Pawelski J et al. The Effects of Marriage, Civil Union, and Domestic Partnership Laws on the Health and Well-being of Children. Paediatrics. 2006 July 1; 349:364. - http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/content/118/1/349.full
18. Psychosocial adjustment, school outcomes, and romantic relationships of adolescents with same-sex parents
Author(s): Wainright, JL (Wainright, JL); Russell, ST (Russell, ST); Patterson, CJ (Patterson, CJ)
Source: CHILD DEVELOPMENT Volume: 75 Issue: 6 Pages: 1886-1898 DOI: 10.1111/j.1467-8624.2004.00823.x Published: NOV-DEC 2004
19. Richard G. Wight, Allen J. LeBlanc, Brian de Vries, and Roger Detels (2012). Stress and Mental Health Among Midlife and Older Gay-Identified Men. American Journal of Public Health. e-View Ahead of Print. doi: 10.2105/AJPH.2011.300384. http://williamsinstitute.law.ucla.edu/research/health-and-hiv-aids/stress-and-mental-health-among-midlife-and-older-gay-identified-men/
20. King M, Bartlett A. What same sex civil partnerships may mean for health. J Epidemiol Community Health. 2006;60:188-191.
21. Herek GM. Legal Recognition of Same-Sex Relationships in the United States: A Social Science Perspective. American Psychologist. 2006;61:607–21.
22. Adrien A, Beaulieu M, Leaune V, Perron M, Dassa C.Trends in attitudes toward people living with HIV, homophobia, and HIV transmission knowledge in Quebec, Canada (1996, 2002, and 2010). AIDS Care. 2012 Apr 26.
23. Jeffries WL 4th, Marks G, Lauby J, Murrill CS, Millett GA. Homophobia is Associated with Sexual Behavior that Increases Risk of Acquiring and Transmitting HIV Infection Among Black Men Who Have Sex with Men. AIDS Behav. 2012 May 9. [Epub ahead of print] PubMed PMID: 22569942.
24. Francis AM, Mialon HM. Tolerance and HIV. J Health Econ. 2010 Mar;29(2):250-67. Epub 2009 Dec 2. PubMed PMID: 20036431.
25. Transmission. Economists link bans on gay marriage to rise in HIV rates. AIDS Policy Law. 2009 Jul;24(8):3. PubMed PMID: 19702008.
26. Ducharme JK, Kollar MM. Does the "marriage benefit" extend to same-sex union?: evidence from a sample of married lesbian couples in massachusetts. J Homosex. 2012 Apr;59(4):580-91. PubMed PMID: 22500994
27. Hatzenbuehler ML, O'Cleirigh C, Grasso C, Mayer K, Safren S, Bradford J. Effect of same-sex marriage laws on health care use and expenditures in sexual minority men: a quasi-natural experiment. Am J Public Health. 2012 Feb;102(2):285-91. Epub 2011 Dec 15. PubMed PMID: 22390442
28. Buffie WC. Public health implications of same-sex marriage. Am J Public Health. 2011 Jun;101(6):986-90. Epub 2011 Apr 14. PubMed PMID: 21493934
29. Rostosky SS, Riggle ED, Horne SG, Denton FN, Huellemeier JD. Lesbian, gay, and bisexual individuals' psychological reactions to amendments denying access to civil marriage. Am J Orthopsychiatry. 2010 Jul;80(3):302-10. PubMed PMID: 20636935.
30. Riggle ED, Rostosky SS, Horne SG. Psychological distress, well-being, and legal recognition in same-sex couple relationships. J Fam Psychol. 2010 Feb;24(1):82-6. PubMed PMID: 20175612.
31. Patterson CJ. Children of lesbian and gay parents: psychology, law, and policy. Am Psychol. 2009 Nov;64(8):727-36. PubMed PMID: 19899878
32. Wainright JL, Patterson CJ. Peer relations among adolescents with female same-sex parents. Dev Psychol. 2008 Jan;44(1):117-26. PubMed PMID: 18194010
Today: AMANDA is counting on you
AMANDA VILLIS needs your help with “Australian Government: Doctors For Marriage Equality”. Join AMANDA and 1,395 supporters today.