Bring back the old human female idles!
0 have signed. Let’s get to 1,000!
In 2014 two idle animations were removed from the game Guild Wars 2. These animations provided one of its playable characters (the human females) a distinct look and feel from the other in-game races. Not only were those animations done by skilful animators who had to spend hours working on it, they were also present in the game prior to its official launch.
It is speculated that a small number of players complained about said animations and the developers over at ArenaNet decided to remove these due to this kind of feedback, issues in regards to cutscenes and potentially about the code itself. The true reasons as to why they were never enabled back still remains somewhat of a mystery, as members of the staff and other moderators have been stating different opinions over the years.
The players who were against such decision were left in the dark before the main thread in the old forums was finally locked away. No news or mentions about this topic have been addressed by any staff member ever since.
That is why I've decided to make this petition... so that us, the players, can have a chance to show our dissatisfaction towards this one particular issue. Here are some reasons as to why it should be brought back:
- Guild Wars 2 features numerous "lore-breaking" and over-the-top cosmetic items already such as wings and flashy back pieces, ostentatious weapons, and effects, revealing and silly armour sets, crazy mount skins, and so on. This and the use of a wardrobe system allows the players to customize their characters in any way they see fit.
- The use of miniatures (downsized NPCs that follow players around), which have been turned into a meme (even by the developers) in the past for interfering with cutscenes and otherwise serious plot elements. These were not removed and are still being updated to this day.
- Not all players care about the story. Those who do will remain interested in the events shown on the screen, and there are many other ways for them to immerse themselves. ArenaNet also showed us that it is possible to set each NPC its own string of animations during these in-game conversations.
- Every single race has its own unique set of idle animations. If we follow this whole logic of "lore-breaking" idles in specific situations, then I believe it's fair to point out that all of them can fall under this category. Sylvari (humanoid elf-like plant people) characters can be seen getting themselves distracted and looking around, flailing their arms and constantly showing signs of intrigue and happiness. I would say that something like that would certainly kill an "epic" moment where people are drying and a massive dragon is ready to fall on top of our heroes, wouldn't it?
- Low-polygon NPCs can be seen displaying these same animations, including new ones that were introduced in the game's latest expansion. The code is still there, it shouldn't be hard to enable it back, right?
Let's admit it: this is not a problem at all. However, the human female characters are some of the most played and beloved characters in the entire game (to the point it's considered "meta"). They are already sexualized and even had their own running animation tweaked to make them look sexier. You won't find many immersive players in this game, apart from fashionistas and roleplayers. People enjoy diversity, and having our characters fixing their hair (even though they could be using a helm that covers their entire head) every single day of the week gets dull.
Thank you for your time!
Complete your signature
0 have signed. Let’s get to 1,000!