- Seattle Archdiocese
- Cindy Davis (Dean of Students at Bellarmine Prep)Dean of Students at Bellarmine Prep
- Ed LittlePrincipal at Seton College Preparatory
- Jenell KheriatyDean of Students at Seattle Preparatory
- Ron EdwardsPrincipal at Pope John Paul II
- Mike MaggartAssistant Principal/Dean of Students at Kennedy
- Jeanne EulburgAssistant Principal of Student Services at O'Dea
- Mark PierottiHead of School at Forest Ridge
- Kim DawsonDean of Students at Holy Names Academy
- Polly SkinnerPrincipal of Eastside Catholic
- Sheila KriesPrincipal of Bishop Blanchet
- Tyler McLaughlinDean of Students at Archbishop Murphy
- Karen TarabochiaAssistant Superintendent, Policies, Personnel
- Fr. Stephen RowanSuperintendent
- Archbishop Peter Sartain (Archbishop of Seattle)Archbishop of Seattle
Allow Gay-Straight Alliances in Catholic High Schools
The Archdiocese of Seattle has refused to allow gay-straight alliances in local Catholic high schools despite the necessity of such clubs and repeated lobbying by local students.
A gay-straight alliance is a student run club that allows for students to meet in a safe and welcoming place where they may discuss any challenges in their lives, make new friends, and find the loving support of their schoolmates. These clubs are not political; they simply seek to foster awareness and understanding and to welcome all students. While homosexual acts are a sin in the Catholic faith, homosexuality itself is not. Thus, these clubs do not conflict with the teachings set forth by the Vatican.
In schools with gay-straight alliances, studies have shown that students experience less bullying and contemplate suicide less often. The need for gay-straight alliances in the Seattle archdiocese is imperative. LGBTQ students often feel forgotten, lost, sinful, or even suicidal at a school that refrains from even discussing "the gay issue." Still other students demonstrate a lack of understanding of what being gay even means.
By allowing gay-straight alliances in Catholic high schools, the Seattle Archdiocese can ensure that every student feels safe at school, that every student has a support network in place, and that every student has the right to question their identity. A simple "yes" will create a community of solidarity and love. Please tell the Archdiocese of Seattle to allow Gay-Straight Alliances in Catholic high schools!
- Seattle Archdiocese
- Dean of Students at Bellarmine Prep
Cindy Davis (Dean of Students at Bellarmine Prep)
- Principal at Seton College Preparatory
- Dean of Students at Seattle Preparatory
- Principal at Pope John Paul II
- Assistant Principal/Dean of Students at Kennedy
- Assistant Principal of Student Services at O'Dea
- Head of School at Forest Ridge
- Dean of Students at Holy Names Academy
- Principal of Eastside Catholic
- Principal of Bishop Blanchet
- Dean of Students at Archbishop Murphy
- Assistant Superintendent, Policies, Personnel
Fr. Stephen Rowan
- Archbishop of Seattle
Archbishop Peter Sartain (Archbishop of Seattle)
Please Allow Gay-Straight Alliances in Catholic High Schools for the well-being of all your students. These student groups provide a safe place for students to discuss issues in their personal lives and in the modern world. Support of GSAs does not, in any way, "sponsor" homosexuality. It simply states that the Seattle Archdiocese wishes for all its students to be welcome and happy in their schools.
Catholic Schools GSA started this petition with a single signature, and now has 1,422 supporters. Start a petition today to change something you care about.