- Andre MarinOntario Ombudsman
- MPP Jagmeet SinghNDP Critic Justice (Attorney General) Consumer Services
- John GerretsenAttorney General
- PC Julia MunroCritic, Attorney General
- Andrea HorwathLeader of the Ontario NDP
- Jim ChristiePresident Jim Christie Ontario Provincial Police Association
- Paul CookPresident of Ontario Association of Chiefs of Police
Require all officers to wear body cams when in contact with the public
It's time to for the police and politics to step into the 21 first century when it comes to body cams for officers in Ontario.
The public are already using cameras to record police. The public want protection and the police want better relations with the public. This is a win win for the public and police.
We, the undersigned, support legislation that requires all police officers to wear body cameras at all times they are interacting with the general public.
There are many benefits for both officers and the public:
Objective representation of events
Make investigations more efficient and timely
Reduce hostility of officers and citizens
Reduce complaints from citizens
Provide evidence to support prosecutions
Provide evidence to support the public
It's time to use the tools that are available to improve police and public relations.
- Ontario Ombudsman
- NDP Critic Justice (Attorney General) Consumer Services
MPP Jagmeet Singh
- Attorney General
- Critic, Attorney General
PC Julia Munro
- Leader of the Ontario NDP
- President Jim Christie Ontario Provincial Police Association
- President of Ontario Association of Chiefs of Police
There is sufficient evidence that shows that there are positive results when officers are wearing body cams.
When people see an officer wearing a camera, they are less likely to be aggressive and or make false complaints.
Equally, officers wearing body cams have shown lower rates of aggressiveness and lowers the rate of officers making false allegations towards the public.
These tests further validate that we can lower manpower costs in court time and fees, and improve relations as a result of the above positive results.
We ask you to support a mandatory requirement that all officers wear body cams when in contact with the public.
For more details on these tests go here: http://www.policefoundation.org/sites/g/files/g798246/f/201303/The%20Effect%20of%20Body-Worn%20Cameras%20on%20Police%20Use-of-Force.pdf
And here http://ccjs.umd.edu/sites/ccjs.umd.edu/files/Wearable_Cameras_Capitol_Hill_Final_Presentation_Jerry_Lee_Symposium_2013.pdf
Maryann Wilhelm started this petition with a single signature, and now has 101 supporters. Start a petition today to change something you care about.