Allow Our Future First to be a part of the Millville CDBG Grant process!

Allow Our Future First to be a part of the Millville CDBG Grant process!

Started
May 1, 2022
Signatures: 88Next Goal: 100
Support now

Why this petition matters

Started by Sean Thom

Over the last few years, our organization, Our Future First, has been a part of the Millville Community Development Block Grant process. The city usually gets about $300,000 every year from HUD for this grant. Exactly 15% of the funds can be used to support programming in the community and the other 85% has to go towards acquiring buildings, reducing "urban blight", creating economic opportunities, and finding unique ways to support our community.

We have been awarded money over the last two years, which has helped support our annual Back to School Shoe Drive as well as our Holiday Toy Drive. Every year, the city sends emails out to all former recipients and participants to let them know about the process. According to their program director, they sent communication out to 9 former recipients this year, but not to us. As a result, we missed a meeting (that we have always attended in the past) and now the mayor is saying that we are not eligible to participate and will not be able to have our proposals heard. 

We submitted two grant proposals this year. The first was for $2,000 to help with our shoe and toy drives. The second was for $50,000 to reimburse us for our down payment to purchase our building to create Reese's House, our youth-focused community center. These proposals would go a long way to ensuring that we can help the citizens in Millville this year and beyond. 

We're not asking for the city or the grant committee to just give us money; rather, we're asking for them to hear our applications and allow the committee to make the decision if we are awarded funds. By signing this petition, you are agreeing that the individuals in charge of this process for the city cannot pick and choose to who they divulge important information and deadlines. Instead, they must create a system that is fair and equitable in which everyone is notified instead of a select few. 

Thank you for signing this petition and standing for equity and transparency in our community!  We will be attending the Millville City Commission meeting on Tuesday, May 3, at 7 pm at Millville City Hall to present the signatures and to address our concerns. Hope to see you there!

 

Support now
Signatures: 88Next Goal: 100
Support now