4 March 2012: Open Letter to President Zuma - https://www.facebook.com/s24rc/posts/313683755355585
3 March 2012: Press Statement - https://www.facebook.com/notes/section-24-rights-coalition-ngo-on-protection-of-the-environment/press-release-2012-02-03-world-solutions-to-illegal-rhino-horn-trade-required/312508772139750
22 February 2012: President Zuma and the nine cabinet members received the Rhino Ultimatum files.
Each month sees more than 50 rhino brutally hacked for their horns. Our Collective Voice will reduce that to zero.
The Rhino species - a World Heritage icon and a cornerstone species of the Big 5 - is held in trust by the South African government for our and future generations. Rhino survival stands on a knife edge today. South African government ministers must uphold their Oaths of Office.
Read the 9 point plan and the Declaration of Intent - the two key elements in the Rhino Ultimatum.
1. MORATORIUM ON THE ISSUING OF RHINO TROPHY-HUNTING PERMITS, until corruption surrounding these permits are eradicated, and until such time as the issuing of these permits is fully transparent and follows good governance principles as laid down by the King III Commission of 2009.
2. MORATORIUM ON THE SALE OF STATE OWNED RHINO until a complete census of Rhino population numbers has been commissioned and completed.
3. A COMPLETE CENSUS of the Rhino population in South Africa, to ascertain with ACCURACY the number of living black and white Rhino, monitored and audited by an independent conservation body.
4. LIFT THE GAG ORDER on vital Rhino death statistics and information.
5. EVALUATE THE RHINO HORN TREATMENT INITIATIVE endorsed by South African and international wildlife conservationists as an immediate, effective, holistic and sustainable solution to the Rhino carnage.
6. CLARIFY GOVERNMENT INTENTION with regard to the trade in Rhino horn. Do not consider participating in bogus medicine fraud.
7. DESTROY ALL STOCK-PILED RHINO HORN. Any talk of trade in Rhino horn simply fuels the 'medicine' myth and is destructive to the survival of the Rhino species.
8. ENFORCE and MONITOR ALL THE 1993 CITES RECOMMENDATIONS AND REQUIREMENTS.
9. ENGAGE THE PEOPLES' REPUBIC OF CHINA, a co-signatory to the 1993 CITES agreement, for the purpose of trans-national co-operation to end the trade in animal body parts, including all diplomatic measures at the SA government's disposal, invoking multi-national alliances and economic sanctions.
DECLARATION OF INTENT:
On Sunday 22 April 2012, should Government fail to act satisfactorily, we will implement immediate boycott action of certain South African economic segments that fail to support the rhino, namely:
1. South African agricultural exports
2. South African services exports
Sign this petition today to voice support for extreme pressure to be placed on the SA Government, which have failed to live up to promises made in Section 24 of the Constitution (protection of the environment).