Ask ABC executives along with Work It show creators to: apologize to the Puerto Rican community for the racist and degrading remarks broadcast on the pilot episode of Work It airing January 3, 2012 and as one of the biggest television networks in the US to stop attacking the Puerto Rican community with negative stereotypes.
On the pilot episode of Work It airing January 3, 2012 the writers wrote this line for an actor: “I’m Puerto Rican. I would be great at selling drugs.”
To collect the signature of at least 100,000 people to demonstrate we are united in feeling fed up with the negative light Puerto Ricans and other Latinos are given on Television and media.
Why this is important:
- You have to be part of the change you want to see happen.
- This is not the only incident on this network of negatively stereotyping Puerto Ricans or other Latinos.
- ABC hasn't issued an apology.
- If you don't sign they will think Latinos don't care if they are denigrated on public airwaves. We must show unity and demand action when it comes to important issues.
- Networks can chose to promote positive images of people from the Latino community but they don't. Let them know you want to see more of this.
- Would the same attitude have occurred if they would have said something about the Jewish community or African-American community?
Notable people that have raised awareness to this issue are:
US Rep. José Serrano
Rep. Nydia Velázquez
Assemblyman José Rivera
Former New York City Comptroller, Bill Thompson.
Julio Pabon and Lucky Rivera creators of Boricuas for a Positive Image
Julio Varela creator of Latino Rebels
(1) an apology to the Puerto Rican community for the racist and degrading remarks broadcast on the pilot episode of Work It on January 3, 2012.
(2) as one of the biggest television networks in the US stop attacking the Puerto Rican community with negative stereotypes.
(3) create a cultural sensitivity and tolerance educational program for ABC producers, writers and staff.
We look forward to hearing from you regarding this very important issue.